Replacement lock ring in NP242? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-14-2013, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
93 Cherokee

Replacement lock ring in NP242?

I bent the lock ring with the eyelets in the rear bearing retainer of my NP242. Is it a standard size I can get at Fastenal possibly?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-16-2015, 01:16 AM
jeep_newb
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I broke mine in half! and one of the halves was cannibalized by the T-Case and found with on the magnet. Anybody have any idea where you can pick these up? I found from somewhere else that the PN was J6134488, but I don't know where to find it, been looking with the help of Mr. Google and I haven't been lucky yet.

THanks
post #3 of 8 Old 09-16-2015, 01:55 AM
tjcustomranger
1993 ZJ 

The snap ring on the end of the "tail" shaft?
post #4 of 8 Old 09-16-2015, 12:57 PM
jeep_newb
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So there is a snap ring, but I believe there are additional rings that hold the bearings in place, I saw somewhere else that they were referred to as lock-rings.
The snap ring has eyelets and fits into a groove on the hole the shaft is in, however these lock rings are seated on the shaft and sit against the rear bearing.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-16-2015, 01:38 PM
tjcustomranger
1993 ZJ 

Can you take a picture of the location of it
post #6 of 8 Old 09-16-2015, 02:16 PM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Oops, I was looking at the 42re trans, not the TC. Sorry.

Last edited by MrRoundel; 09-16-2015 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Correct mistaken identity.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_newb View Post
I broke mine in half! and one of the halves was cannibalized by the T-Case and found with on the magnet. Anybody have any idea where you can pick these up? I found from somewhere else that the PN was J6134488, but I don't know where to find it, been looking with the help of Mr. Google and I haven't been lucky yet.

THanks
You're one number off on that part number. Instead of J6134488 it's J8134488, "Ring, Bearing Retainer". Actually they show 2 of them with the same part number. There's one up against the outside of the bearing and another on the outside of the rear seal. These look like the smaller rings which go on the shaft.

There's also a much larger retaining ring which must snap into the case. It's between the rear bearing and seal referred to as a "Ring, Rear Bearing I.D. Retaining".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_newb View Post
So there is a snap ring, but I believe there are additional rings that hold the bearings in place, I saw somewhere else that they were referred to as lock-rings.
The snap ring has eyelets and fits into a groove on the hole the shaft is in, however these lock rings are seated on the shaft and sit against the rear bearing.
Regardless if they're "snap rings" or "lock rings" it's difficult to tell which is which on the parts list since they're all listed as "Rings, Retainer". And the individual rings on the parts diagram are too small to see if there's holes in the ends of the rings.

Are these rings for your 2000 XJ NP242 transfer case? The reason I ask is I'm using the old 94-96 ZJ parts list diagram (21T-210) and not sure if they would have changed anything on the 242 after 4+ years? It also list the part number of the transfer case some of these retaining rings are used for. Maybe your newer TC isn't even included in these OE case numbers but could be the same.

Note: on that diagram #33 are the smaller retaining rings I posted earlier while #37 is the larger retaining ring. Good luck!

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 93 4.0 XJ (spare), 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #8 of 8 Old 09-16-2015, 07:28 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

http://www.manualtransmissionpart.co...Parts-Kit.html
http://www.midwesttrans.com/NP242_Transfer_Case.html
http://www.quad4x4.com/product/50917...ALL-PARTS-KIT/
The last link has pics.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.