Replacement advise for 96 ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacement advise for 96 ZJ

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
Fredthecat

Replacement advise for 96 ZJ

It's time to replace the 96 I6 JZ Grand Chreokee Larado with 160K miles. More than got my money's worth, paid $6K in 2003.

Any advise what year/trim ZJ would make a good replacement with ,50K miles?

When did bodies/drive train change? good-better? Any advise on specific jEEP YEARS/EQUIPMENT/MARKETS TO SHOP?

I drive on highway 20%, off road20%, in deep snow 20%, pull M416 Jeep utility traiiel 20% and pull Airstream Safari Trailer 20%on and off road.

Need tow package, cooling package, NOT,, full tme four wheel drive

tHANKS

Fredthecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
davigzj
1997 ZJ 

In 99 the zj became the wj very nice had a2001 for a few months V8 4.something AWD because of v8 but with all that towing that might be best for u and awd is nice in snow. My. 02¢…
davigzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
FlamingRain
1996 ZJ 

To be honest - you're going to be lucky if you find a ZJ with 50k miles on it. Ours is at about 120.xxx now (5.2), and the engine runs like a champ. (minus a steering gear, the A/C does not work, and the parking brake does not work)

If you're looking for something good - get one with a 5.2 V8. Those engines, if you treat them right, are damn good engines. They've got lots of torque- particularly at low range. Ours in 4lo jumps forward just releasing the brake pedal on a flat surface. They also sound good when they go fast :P Although they're not quite as broken-in and tested as the 4.0 (which was a standard for many many years, unlike the 5.2 which was only available for 7-8.) I think it's worth the money. Also 5.9's are cool and I'm really looking into getting one.

1996 Grand Cherokee Limited (ZJ) / 5.2L 318 V8 / Quadra-Trac
FlamingRain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

If you are riding a good horse, then why try replacing it in mid-stream ???

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

and whats wrong with your current Jeep ? You arent gonna find a ZJ with 50k. 100k is being optimistic
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
spur0701

I was thinking like you a few months ago. I've got a 98 ZJ 4.0 that I've had for about 12 years, I've got other DDs so only have 125K on it. It had a bunch of maintenance due (brakes, shocks, tires, and some other stuff) and I was thinking that it was old enough that I should start looking for a used WJ or whatever was the best bang for the buck.

But after researching I've changed my mind. I can expect to get at least another 100K out of the engine. I've never had any problems with it, parts are easy to find and maintance is pretty easy, plus the gas milage is decent for what it is (around 17-19 depending how hard I drive it).

So as long as you don't have anything major wrong with it I would drop whatever money you need to keep it ticking. If there's something major then I would look for a 98 Lorado, I personally think Limiteds have too many options that's just more things to go wrong.
spur0701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
FlamingRain
1996 ZJ 

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention we've had that 5.2 ZJ for about 11 years now. (I'm 15... I practically grew up in it!)

Unread 07-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
Fredthecat

Thanks all. Didn't know ZJ begot WJ. Important info. Need to learn about Quada-Trac, AWD, V8s etc.

The laundry list for the 96 ZJ is growing too big….leaks and electrical.

Cracked exhaust manifold, rear pinion seal leaks, won’t pass smog (ECM sensors won’t reset after dead battery…..hundreds of miles & “Drive Cycles” later, door locks intermittent, distributer sensor died while towing, Phantom Battery Drain, Mini-Death Wobble at 48-50 MPH, A/C won’t hold charge…on and on.

No longer ultra reliable. Have ’86 CJ7 with 56K for Rubicon Runs (bought new), ’66 Volvo 122S and '67 BSA Thunderbolt for Daily Drivers.

Thanks for all the input.

Tried sister’s ‘04 Grand Cherokee on for size….that may do it.

Shopping,
Fredthecat
Fredthecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #9
FlamingRain
1996 ZJ 

Ah, you should have stated you had problems.

I still say go with v8s. That's what Grand Cherokees are for. :P

I've got a gnarly laundry list of problems I need to fix with mine (they're not engine related though :P)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.