Replacement 5.2 Motor Mounts Advise.. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 08-17-2017, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
JOHNWON454

Replacement 5.2 Motor Mounts Advise..

Hi;
I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.2 V8
Been searching and still can't find details on the replacement procedure. Would someone be kind enough to explain this. In particular where to place jack/jacks and the estimated level of difficulty as well as how long it usually takes. Also is there a particular brand that is recommended. I seen the Iron Man ones for 5.2 for $160.00 but that is out of my budget. Also seen the Red Inserts, I don't really feel like that swap will work out too well for me based on my lack of tools needed to press in as well as not having a press. Any other suggestions? Any help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 08-17-2017, 07:35 AM
BorderWalker
1995 ZJ 

Garage
I did mine on the 4.0. it's not super hard.

For jacking it, get a jack stand and jack it up by the oil pan. HOWEVER, place a bloack of wood between the Jack and Oil pan. That way it'll absorb some of the pressure from the Jack and even it out on the pan to not damage it.

Unbolt the thru bolts first, then unbolt the mounts from the engine bay. Might need some extensions with bendy bits.

I personally went with Anchor but I don't do heavy wheeling. Working fine after a year no issue.

Also, you shouldn't need a press to do the engine mounts. They're meant to be replaced as a unit, not to press in and out the rubber.

._________.ooooo.
/||\\,____
L/\\__|__|"/\=llllll=\
_())===)).....())===))
post #3 of 32 Old 08-17-2017, 07:38 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

The Anchor 2809 left and Anchor 2808 right are reasonably priced. Don't forget to replace the transmission mount.

When I do mine, I lift the engine load w/ a motor hoist using bolt holes on the engine front.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 Old 08-17-2017, 09:44 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderWalker View Post
I did mine on the 4.0. it's not super hard.

For jacking it, get a jack stand and jack it up by the oil pan. HOWEVER, place a bloack of wood between the Jack and Oil pan. That way it'll absorb some of the pressure from the Jack and even it out on the pan to not damage it.

Unbolt the thru bolts first, then unbolt the mounts from the engine bay. Might need some extensions with bendy bits.

I personally went with Anchor but I don't do heavy wheeling. Working fine after a year no issue.

Also, you shouldn't need a press to do the engine mounts. They're meant to be replaced as a unit, not to press in and out the rubber.
You can replace the rubber with poly inserts but you have to torch out the rubber and press them in.
post #5 of 32 Old 08-17-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
JOHNWON454

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...ounts-4062186/

Pressed into stock Mopar mounts which are sure to fit perfectly, the Anchor stuff isn't as exact a fit as stock. I've had to modify Anchor stuff to fit before...quality control issues.
Do you use this same set-up on yours currently?
post #6 of 32 Old 08-17-2017, 10:15 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Based on my 4.0, if you have a heavy right foot the Anchor driver's side mount won't last very long. AFAIK the 4.0 and 5.2 mounts use the same inserts, the round bit that is pressed into the mount shell. Used to be able to buy them separately. I went through two of them that only lasted a few months each. I put poly bushings in and it had bad vibrations. Put the stock mount back in on the passenger side and it's the best of both worlds. Smooth but no more destroyed driver's side mounts. You can install the poly bushings with a big bench vise. You don't need tons of force.
post #7 of 32 Old 08-17-2017, 10:32 AM
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

you don't need a press to put the new poly bushing in. I used the weight of my jeep. Had no issues.
post #8 of 32 Old 08-17-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
JOHNWON454

That's an interesting idea, using one poly and one stock..
post #9 of 32 Old 08-17-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
JOHNWON454

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
you don't need a press to put the new poly bushing in. I used the weight of my jeep. Had no issues.
Okay, please explain how you used the weight of your Jeep to install.
post #10 of 32 Old 08-17-2017, 11:04 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNWON454 View Post
Okay, please explain how you used the weight of your Jeep to install.
You could jack it up and place the mount and bushing under the tire with a board on top and let the weight do the work.
post #11 of 32 Old 08-17-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
JOHNWON454

Now that's making do with what you got
Thanks for explaining.
post #12 of 32 Old 08-17-2017, 12:17 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I'd just go parts store this time around and do the ironman when you have the cash (if you care). Should be able to do that quite cheap and be on with your life.

The stock style replacements aren't that bad. Gonna be way better than shot ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #13 of 32 Old 08-17-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
JOHNWON454

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
I'd just go parts store this time around and do the ironman when you have the cash (if you care). Should be able to do that quite cheap and be on with your life.

The stock style replacements aren't that bad. Gonna be way better than shot ones.
There is some wisdom in that.. The thought of blowing the budget and getting the Iron Man is crossing my mine. My wife definitely won't like the price.. ..especially with the need of spending more money on other things that caused it to fail inspection just two days ago..
post #14 of 32 Old 08-17-2017, 01:28 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeah, if you've got other priorities, prioritize them.

The ironman are nice, and you'd never have to do it again, but budgets are budgets (or you end up like me).

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #15 of 32 Old 08-17-2017, 02:55 PM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

The only potential "issue" w/ the left motor mount is that the assembly incorporates two welded nuts, for the block attachment bolts. Some aftermarket parts use different threads than the OEM part, mandating also purchasing the correct part for mounting to the vehicle. The correct part includes not only the thread pitch and diameter, but the correct strength rating.

IMO, it REALLY SUCKS that the aftermarket parts don't weld on the correct nut, so that the existing bolt can be reused.

FWIW, for the Anchor 2809 left motor mount I used on my ZJ, I also purchased these M12 x 1.75mm x 45mm Class 10.9 high-strength flanged hex head screw for attaching to the engine block. The Westar EM2809 left motor mount welded nuts also don't fit the OEM bolts and are a smaller diameter.

These M12 x 1.75mm Class 10 flange nuts were also purchased to permit using those new black phosphate bolts in all locations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.