Replaced pinion seal. Now noisy. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replaced pinion seal. Now noisy.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Hey Guys - Extreme Terrain Jeep Outfitters - ExtremeTerraiThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
CamoX413
1996 ZJ 

Replaced pinion seal. Now noisy.

hey everybody, I thought I would try to replace my rear pinion seal today on my Dana 35. I did plenty of research and thought I was up to the job. I marked everything before I took it apart. the socket rubbed the marking off the pinion nut. I was pretty sure I found a bit of the mark left so I used that to line it back up with the mark on the pinion. now I'm getting somewhat of a grinding sound on acceleration it stops at high speeds and i mostly notice it between 20 to 40 mph.

also I just had a custom cat back exhaust installed yesterday so I don't know if the noise is coming from that or the differential but I didn't notice the noise at all after doing the seal.

CamoX413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
CamoX413
1996 ZJ 

I meant to say that I didn't notice the noise until after I did the pinion seal. I just crawled under the jeep and noticed that my exhaust sits right against my gas tank skid and the rubber grommets on the hanger is worn. if I shake the exhaust it bangs against the skid.
Unread 04-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #3
CamoX413
1996 ZJ 

does this sound like it could be something inside my diff?
Unread 04-20-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
CamoX413
1996 ZJ 

It seems to be intermittent also. I notice it more when I'm really getting down on the throttle.
Unread 04-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
WiryOak
1998 ZJ 

Wrap your exhaust where it hits with soaking wet bluejeans. Quickly test it on a backroad, If it still makes a noise then its not your exhaust.
WiryOak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #6
CamoX413
1996 ZJ 

Had the exhaust shop rework the pipe this morning. Haven't heard anything yet but I just left the shop so I'll update later
Unread 04-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
Daing_Maing
1998 ZJ 

I just replaced my rear pinion seal about three weeks ago. I did not tighten the pinion nut enough when I reinstalled it. I was getting a garbling metallic sound out of the differential at 35-50 mph when I accelerated. There are a couple of threads here on the forum that explain the noises that are made when you crush the spacer behind the nut, or under tighten/torque the nut as well.

My situation was in which I had not tightened it enough. I had one more full rotation on the nut + 5% to be sure the crushable spacer was engaged properly. I also did not do the replacement 'by the book' with taking off the tires and removing axle shafts, etc....

Good luck man...
Daing_Maing is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #8
CamoX413
1996 ZJ 

I did it the same as you. Just jacked her up and marked everything and took it apart.

It seems my new exhaust was the culprit in what I was hearing but the rear does still sounds somewhat noisy like drone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.