Replaced front axle/CV joint now a bad whining from front end? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replaced front axle/CV joint now a bad whining from front end?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-11-2004, 07:26 PM   #1
f1rz06

Replaced front axle/CV joint now a bad whining from front end?

I just replaced my passenger front CV joint/axle assembly after the bearing the in CV joint exploded. Now mostly on acceleration and during cruise there is a whining coming from the front end. It kind of sounds like when you set up a differential bad or something, but nothing was touched except for the CV joint. The install went smooth, nothing out of the ordinary. My friends first impression was that it seemed like it was "out of balance" from the opposite CV joint but I've never heard of having to mate CV joints at cetain points. The noise is purely speed and load dependant, when cruising as you hit bumps or get on and off the gas the noise gets better and worse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, this is the full time 4wd version if that matters.

f1rz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2004, 11:12 PM   #2
boredinocala

[maybe the axle nut was overtorqued at the wheel?? OR undertorqued - either way it can mess up the hub bearing....
boredinocala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2004, 09:11 AM   #3
f1rz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredinocala
[maybe the axle nut was overtorqued at the wheel?? OR undertorqued - either way it can mess up the hub bearing....
Any idea what the torque specs are for the axle nut?
f1rz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2004, 11:52 AM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

The torque specification is 175 Ft-Lbs for my 94ZJ. You can not really screw these things up if you under/over tighten them. The hub bearings are sealed non-serviceable part. Itís not like some cheap tapered roller bearing found on most 2WD vehicles.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2004, 02:48 AM   #5
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

It could be a BAD new CV joint too.
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.