replaced engine belt. now have loud noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > replaced engine belt. now have loud noise

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
booked101
1997 ZJ 

replaced engine belt. now have loud noise

I had to replace the belt on the engine today because it broke while on the interstate. Now the ac compressor makes a loud squealing noise when turned on. What happened? Is the belt to tight or to loose? Compressor problems?

It didn't make any noise before I replaced the belt.

Unread 06-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
a70eliminator

It is very unusual for a serpentine belt to just break, perhaps the a/c compressor problem is what caused the belt failure and you just didn't notice any sound, now you have your new belt installed and found what out what caused the old belt to break.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
KJK
1998 ZJ 

I agree with the above theory. Take the belt off and see if the compressor pulley spins freely. It might need a new bearing.

Last edited by KJK; 06-28-2013 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: spelling
KJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

X3
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Hey I have had a dodge durango 4.7 that I changed the belt on as routine maintenence. I bought the cheapest belt that autozone had and it squeeled like a pig when I turned the ac on. I eventually went back to the zone and bought the most expensive belt (about 10 buck more) when I pulled the cheap belt off and compared, there was about a inch difference in the play between the two belts. After changing to the quality belt I have had no trouble what so ever. I'm acutally in the middle of a maintenece job on my newly aquired ZJ and the previous owner told me that the ac squeels because he used the cheap belt also. I'm now changing to a quality dayco belt tomorrow. This is just my previous experience, maybe it will help a little bit.
JBrady5555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
booked101
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a70eliminator View Post
It is very unusual for a serpentine belt to just break, perhaps the a/c compressor problem is what caused the belt failure and you just didn't notice any sound, now you have your new belt installed and found what out what caused the old belt to break.
The original belt had a split forming along the length of the belt. It also had a gap in the teeth where I was prying against it to change the thermostat a while back. So its no surprise that the belt broke. I checked the pulleys before I put the new belt on an all spun like they should.
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

my belt came splintered too (yesterday too) on the freeway, the thin splinter peeled off into the fan and pulled the belt off the pulleys
webhostingdesig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
HandsOn

Another common thing, no matter how experienced the installer, is an incorrectly routed belt. All it takes is one or two wrong paths to give some issue. It might look right, but could still be off.
The ZJ's aren't that intricate though, so while it's possible to do, it's probably not your issue.
But it's worth triple checking I think.

I always buy the Conti or Goodyear Gatorbacks nowadays. Don't even ask the price anymore either. "Just give me the Gatorback" is what I say. I like the unequally offset grooves & notches that reduce harmonics, so that even when there is some slippage, the noise factor is way down.
This might be a two-edged sword of course, reducing the number of symptoms you might get before a failure, but I hate noise. And cleaning glazed pullies, while an unfortunate necessity of older rigs sometimes, is also not on my favorite things to do list.

What about some contamination? Maybe your previous work left some coolant residue on the pullies and it's just now coming back to haunt you with the new belt?
Or even something from just this time, like oil or more coolant or refrigerant maybe?
Might be worth a simple cleaning to see if it goes away.

Is yours a V8 or I6 101? Since the sixes are manually adjusted for tension too (are all I-6 ZJ's this way?), could you just need to tighten the tensioner some more? I don't know that a too-tight belt would squeal, but a too-loose one certainly will. Unless you're concerned that it's too tight already, and too tight does put more stress on the accessory bearings, maybe another turn on the adjuster is called for as an experiment.
I actually don't know the proper method of checking tension. I've probably just gotten lucky when I've done them before. No squealing so far though. Knock on wood...
I prefer automatic tensioners for simplicity, but you can't argue with a set-it-and-forget-it type much either.

Good luck. Noise sucks.

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.