Replace shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replace shocks

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
joker1994

Replace shocks

Ow do you replace the front shocks on a 95 zj with the inline 6

joker1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Take the tire off, Unbolt the shock at the axle end(two bolts). Pop the hood to get to the body side bolt, I think one side is kinda buried by your overflow tank. Take out the old ones and then put your new shocks in.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

The last time I did my front shocks, I left the front wheels on. I just turned them to get to the shock mount on the bottom.
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Best start hosing down the nuts which hold the shocks on with rust-cutter first along with where the bottom of the shock slides on the bolt. There's no pressure on the shocks so jacking it up is only to create room for you to work.

Not sure if the the 95 4.0 is the same as the 96 4.0 but on mine the passenger side top shock nut was easy to remove while the driver's side is under the ABS and all the brake lines. A ratcheting box end wrench works the best since I couldn't get a socket in there. Besides you need to hold the top shock shaft above the threads with a 5/16" open end wrench or small vice-grips. I found it easier on a real rusted nut on the driver's side to hold the outer shock tube in the wheel-well with large channel-locks or a pipe wrench and had the wheel/tire off. Takes a little stretching to hold this tube while removing the top nut.

Install the bottom of the shock before cutting the plastic/nylon throw-away piece holding the shock together. And have your washers/rubber spacers installed on the top of the shock and in the hole above. Good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

I did it with the wheels on too. I found I needed a swivel-head ratcheting box-end wrench to get the top nut off the driver side shock.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
I did it with the wheels on too. I found I needed a swivel-head ratcheting box-end wrench to get the top nut off the driver side shock.
I've got the Kobalt Xtreme Access 49 piece set and it worked wonders for that. Ratcheting wrenches work well too though.
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

No need to remove the tires. I usually unbolt the master cylinder bracket to get to the driver's side top bolt. Be careful not to strip out the lower bolts, they are small.

Edit - Listen to Uniblurb. Compressing the shocks into the holes is a real pain. Get them ready for installation then cut the banding.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.