Replace factory radio w/ after market...Worked, when went to put electical tape, noth - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replace factory radio w/ after market...Worked, when went to put electical tape, noth

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
KillaKam79
1999 WJ 

Replace factory radio w/ after market...Worked, when went to put electical tape, noth

I just replace my factory radio w/ an aftermarket (Alpine CD/Radio). I took out the factory unit and install the Alpine radio, wired everything together w/ the wiring kit. Test the new radio, works fine. Now I need to put electrical tape, taped everything together and now the radio doesn't work, no power no nothing. Checked all the wires and everything looks fine, I even took all the wires apart and put it back together just to make sure that all the wires were put together correctly. Now I'm like "F***" I blew the radio. So I decided to put the factory unit back on and same problems, no power no nothing. Checked all the fuses and there was no blown fuse. So what now??? Did I loosen a connection somewhere??? Any help would be great...Thanks!!!

KillaKam79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
cmonson

do you have 12V at the power connection?
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
KillaKam79
1999 WJ 

yeah its all connected
Unread 12-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
MAUSS
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
yeah its all connected
Ok, it's connected... but is there 12V there?

Tell me you weren't just twisting the wires together and wrapping them with electrical tape.... please.
Unread 12-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
cmonson

Quote:
Tell me you weren't just twisting the wires together and wrapping them with electrical tape.... please.
I second that...

You should be using wire nuts or crimp on connectors with shrink wrap.

did you verify 12V yet?
Unread 12-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
KillaKam79
1999 WJ 

The 12 volt wires are connected and it still does not come on. Even when I connected the factory radio and that doesn't work either. I got the aftermarket wiring harness. Like I said it worked before when I was connecting it earlier, but when I was taping everything off, that's when it didn't work anymore. Can I just connect the the 12 volt wire directly to the battery? Do I only connect it to the + terminal?
Unread 12-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
cmonson

again, for the 3rd time, did you verify with a volt meter that you have 12V at the wire???????????????
Unread 12-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
impuresoul2k3
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonson View Post
I second that...

You should be using wire nuts or crimp on connectors with shrink wrap.

did you verify 12V yet?
Or even better, solder the wires and cover with heatshrink tubing
Modified Throttle body
Flowmaster muffler
impuresoul2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
KillaKam79
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonson View Post
again, for the 3rd time, did you verify with a volt meter that you have 12V at the wire???????????????
I don't have a 12 volt meter to verify it, should I go to autozone to see if they can test that for me?
Unread 12-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
cmonson

Quote:
I don't have a 12 volt meter to verify it, should I go to autozone to see if they can test that for me?
No, go to autozone so that you can buy one. In all truth, this is an essential tool and you will get years of use out of it.
Unread 12-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
KillaKam79
1999 WJ 

I went to autozone and bought a 12 volt tester, I tested the wires and NO I'm not getting any current from the 12 volt wire. So what can I do??? I got currrent from ignition and the illumination wire but not from the constant 12 volt wire. cmonson, thaks for being patient with me, you have been a great help. But what should I do now???
Unread 12-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
WJChris
Four Badges

1999 WJ 

You are meassuring VOLTS with a voltmeter. Measuring current is different.

What should you do now? Follow the schematics and locate the spot where the 12v stops.

I suggest you check the fuses again, all of them.

I have an FSM and access to schematics if I can be of help.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
WJChris
Four Badges

1999 WJ 

you have 2 fuses. A RED/WHT wire that runs from the POWER DISTRIBUTION CENTER (FUSE 15, 50A) (that supplies the radio, amplifier, front power outlets and rear outlet). There is a fuse (FUSE 5, 25A) in the junction block.

Check the junction block first. Its located lower left, below the steering wheel and above the dead pedal under the dash. If the power outlets also do not work, the problem is with the supply at the PDC. The PDC is located in the engine compartment, passenger side between the battery and the fender.

There also is the RUN-ACC switched line (RED/WHT) that has (FUSE 30, 15A) from the junction block. That supplies voltage only when the key is in the correct position.

Last edited by WJChris; 12-26-2009 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: adding more information
Unread 12-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #14
KillaKam79
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJChris View Post
do you have the infinity system?
No, the base model, even the factory radio doesn't work when I put it back in. I did not splice any factory wires, I bought a wire harness kit. I check all the fuses under the driver side and in the engine and everything looks fine. What could it be???
Unread 12-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #15
WJChris
Four Badges

1999 WJ 

re check my post, I edited it....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.