Repairing headlight switch that causes dimming issues *picture heavy* - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Repairing headlight switch that causes dimming issues *picture heavy*

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #46
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Just finished mine... worked like a charm. I would add a little bit of solder to each point instead of just "re-heating" them. If you can handle an iron carefully, do it.

congerz83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #47
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by congerz83
Just finished mine... worked like a charm. I would add a little bit of solder to each point instead of just "re-heating" them. If you can handle an iron carefully, do it.
That's what I had to do. With mine I just added to the back side I didn't do any with the front by that little box.
[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #655[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Howieb92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #48
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howieb92 View Post
That's what I had to do. With mine I just added to the back side I didn't do any with the front by that little box.
Why didn't you add any there? I don't know the technical specs, but that seems like a very, if not the most important part of the switch.
congerz83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #49
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Thanks to the OP , nice write-up . I need this done on the 5.9 , drives me insane when I do get a chance to steal it from the wife . I also know just the person for the job . He's visiting this weekend . It will be on the bench waiting for him
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #50
billfish16

1997 ZJ 

Thx Sniperdude!!

I never soldered anything before, but I think I fixed the issue with my dashboard lights flickering on and off by following the instructions on this thread. Time will tell as this was an intermittent problem and I have not been using the Auto headlight mode. I did break the plastic dimmer button in two pieces but I was able to glue it back together.

billfish16
billfish16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #51
sniperdude

If you have the problem with the VIC saying coolant sensor is bad, or random things that don't make sense, this same principle of repair applies to that as well.

You just need to take it out and resolder all the joints.
sniperdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #52
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the write-up

Thanks for putting the illustrated write-up on the site for people to use. It's a fine gesture. I finally got around to doing the job after waiting to get set of trim tools in order to remove the bezels, etc., before making the repair. I got a set of nylon tools from the Chinese Connection...er...Harbor Freight, for around $10.00. They worked. Definitely removing the trim was the biggest hassle, but next time it'll be easier. Everything seems to be working fine after dealing with the intermittent flashing dash for the last two years. Thanks again.
MrRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #53
billfish16

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish16 View Post
Thx Sniperdude!!

I never soldered anything before, but I think I fixed the issue with my dashboard lights flickering on and off by following the instructions on this thread. Time will tell as this was an intermittent problem and I have not been using the Auto headlight mode. I did break the plastic dimmer button in two pieces but I was able to glue it back together.

billfish16
Update. Over 1 month later, no flickering of interior lights. Thx again for posting this fix!
billfish16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #54
ZJMTL
1996 ZJ 

I just have to chime in that I did this and it completely fixed the issue. Thank you so much OP!!!
ZJMTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #55
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Great write up. I just did mine and noticed another issue. The sliding dimmer switch is made with a 2 piece metal housing. The tabs that are bent down to hold it together werent all bent down properly. Evidently it caused the slider not to make good contact ( internally) at times. I bent them down with a pair of needlenose pliers and all the issues of dimming dash lights went away. I did, however find what looked to be a cold solder joint on one of the boards too.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #56
YJInterceptor
1996 ZJ 

Well hot dog. I was going to go pull a switch from a junk yard. I'll try this now. Thanks!
YJInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #57
YJInterceptor
1996 ZJ 

Did it the other day and works perfectly. Thanks!
YJInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #58
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

I did it too. Works great. Thanks.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #59
_AdriaN_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I did this 2-14-10 and mine is still working just like it is supposed to. Just so you know it isn't a quick fix, it lasts long term.
_AdriaN_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #60
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

What a great fix. Anyone know if it works the same for an on again off again sunroof switch?
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.