Repairing headlight switch that causes dimming issues *picture heavy* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Repairing headlight switch that causes dimming issues *picture heavy*

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 02-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
sniperdude

Repairing headlight switch that causes dimming issues *picture heavy*

If your jeep's lighted cluster/vic/hvac controls are dimming by themselves, it's probably due to bad solder joints on the headlight switch. I fixed mine yesterday and took some pics and added in instructions. This was done on a 97 Limited with auto headlights and fogs.

Tools:
  1. soldering iron that goes to 600-800 degrees farenheit.
  2. roll of Rosin Core Solder
  3. phillips screwdriver
  4. micro screwdriver
  5. Q-tips/swabs
  6. isopropyl alcohol

Enjoy.

sniperdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

fyi, a radio shack 15/30w soldering iron for ~$7 is your best bet for this. Cheap, and a good overall iron. 15w for the small electronics and 30w for the bigger ones (like ^).
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
sniperdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
No clicky your welcome
Thanks, I was wondering what was up with that.
sniperdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

You need to be a member for I think 30 days and/or have 50 posts to post images. Or you can buy a membership and be able to to it regardless of how long you've been here or posts.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
dhammer303
1998 ZJ 

SNIPERDUDE! I just did this, and first of you instructions were spot on, AND it worked like a charm. In your other thread you spoke about "bending" where the two pieces meet. I had no idea what you were talking about until I disassembled my switch and sure enough, there was a lot of "bending". Once I resoldered the points there was no more "bending", and sure enough it works like new. This solved my problems with the Auto Headlights and the lights on my guages flickering. Thanks for the help!
dhammer303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

If only I had had this back when I needed a new headlight switch. I just got a replacement. I'm sure this will help a lot of people though. Thanks for sharing.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:28 AM   #7
daphne

Thanks for this great post, Sniperdude. I'd have just thrown out my part without doing the repair that you recommend. And it worked perfectly. To your excellent advice, I would just add one item for those with soldering experience. When "resoldering," you should always reheat with new solder. This helps fluxing and also acts as a bit of a heat sink.
daphne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
chromedisguise
1998 ZJ 

Sorry to bump an old thread... but thanks for this. I had to subscribe so I can find this later. Thank you for posting this! I thought I was the only one with this problem.
Unread 01-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

if your dash lights are flickering up and down, you can clean the sliding contact switch with PB Blaster. it is a great electrical connection cleaner.
You got to spray it into the slider past the plastic dust flap and work the slider back and forth.
For some reason, my GC 1998 has numerous little electrical connection failures. Switches, sockets, wiring plugs stop working due to all i can guess high resistance corrosion. It is not visible when you look at the metal, but it is there.

for example radio connection plugs in back of radio, abs connection plug for rear wheel sensors under the dash, dash lamp sockets, headlamp switch, turn signal bulbs.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
baxy

dumb question why do we need to remove board to resolder the points the pics show all the points are accessable with the white cover removed ?
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxy View Post
dumb question why do we need to remove board to resolder the points the pics show all the points are accessable with the white cover removed ?
No need to! I was just about to mention this. Just unscrew the white plastic cover and resolder. That's how I fixed mine.

If this alone doesn't fix it, then go ahead and take it apart. But getting the fog light switch plastic piece off is impossible on most of these without breaking something.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #12
_AdriaN_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tried this out today...

I just re-soldered up the back of the board, after you remove the white plastic and it fixed my problem.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
_AdriaN_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #13
Bigwidge
1996 ZJ 

Just did mine! All the instructions were great, I had some trouble getting the panel out, but that was just me. Anyway, its all fixed now, thanks for the pictures!
The Silver Bullet- 96 ZJ w/ 31" BFG's on Pro-Comp Rock Crawler wheels, 4 KC Daylighters on roof (2 driving, 2 long range), Custom Front Tube Bumper (Made by JFCIII), 3.5" RE Kit with all of the goodies. JKS Trackbar, Bilstein Shocks, Rancho Steering Stabilizer, Control Arms
Bigwidge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
timmay5309
1998 ZJ 

I wish I would have seen this thread before replacing the switch. Great write up!
timmay5309 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #15
danvdd
1997 ZJ 

Just fixed mine. It took over 6 months to get to it but it went off without a hitch.
danvdd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.