Repairing a Clogged AC Drain - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Repairing a Clogged AC Drain

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 07-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #61
megusta
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
Go up - like push the coathanger wire upwards, towards the windshield? Or straight ahead, as the drill bit was? Or downwards, as in towards the floor?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Both ways, go up towards the windshield and straight ahead, as the drill bit was. But do it gently

megusta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:21 AM   #62
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Great, thanx!
Just one more Q: how deep in each direction should I go? Like an inch? Two? Or 20?

Unread 07-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #63
megusta
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Great, thanx!
Just one more Q: how deep in each direction should I go? Like an inch? Two? Or 20?

I was guided by feeling... Wire should travel freely. I inserted about 20-40 inches up and 1-2 inch straight ahead
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #64
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

20-40" up??? Geez, I thought there was the core upthere...

OK, will try today when I get home from work (it's 13:40 over here)...
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #65
megusta
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
20-40" up??? Geez, I thought there was the core upthere...

OK, will try today when I get home from work (it's 13:40 over here)...
if you will be gentle, you wont break core
try to find a thick wire, just like the hole it self... and spray ac cleaner inside (usually they have a long straw)
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #66
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Does it make any difference if my evap core was replaced a month and a half ago (end of may/beginning of june)?
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #67
megusta
1996 ZJ 

don't know, but I think mechanic who changed evap core should have noticed some blockage under the core (or maybe not).
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #68
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Yup, he should have. Plus, everay job he did so far was good, no complaints whatsoever. So I belive he would notice something. Which makes it more curious as to why he drilled the hole in the different spot...

Never mind, I'm gonna give it a go today & hope to clear it up. Maybe there's the block somewhere in the frame rail so the condensate gets to the frame rail but not out of it? Dunno, gonna try the hole thing and see...
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #69
megusta
1996 ZJ 

I felt blockage in upper part of that plastic thing. I didn't feel it with thin wire and thought the same about frame rail. But then I sprayed ac clean foam and used thick wire (same diameter as the hole it self), and then, every time I pulled it out, wire was covered with particles of dirt. I pulled in and out that wire for about 30 mins until it seemed to be clean

long and boring process, but here is the result
Unread 07-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #70
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Good to know. Thanx, I will try it & post back the results.
Unread 07-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #71
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Well I just went in. Drilled the hole and sure enough a cup of water came out. On the floor, because when I finally got to put the cup under, it was almost over. I went in with a wire an going fwd it went in about 2" then stopped. I wiggled it a bit and then pulled out and went in towards the top (up). Went in more or less without effort about 10" and then it came to an end - it felt like pushing against something rubber, or spongy. But couldn't make it go further ahead. Pulled it out but no gunk or anything. Tried 3-4 more times but always the same depth an the same result.
So I put duct tape over the hole, it shoul hold it nicely.

Now what I don't understand is this: condensate would get created up, and would then drain down, passing through the pipe I made a hole in. So if I drilled a hole and water came out, wouldn't that mean that the restriction is located downwards from the hole? Because if it was upwards, then the water wouldn't be there in the first place. So I guess all the gunk is located somewhere in the drain tube from the hole towards the rail, right?

So how far & how hard should I push the wire if I go forward (in the direction the drill bit went in)?

Unread 07-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #72
megusta
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Well I just went in. Drilled the hole and sure enough a cup of water came out. On the floor, because when I finally got to put the cup under, it was almost over. I went in with a wire an going fwd it went in about 2" then stopped. I wiggled it a bit and then pulled out and went in towards the top (up). Went in more or less without effort about 10" and then it came to an end - it felt like pushing against something rubber, or spongy. But couldn't make it go further ahead. Pulled it out but no gunk or anything. Tried 3-4 more times but always the same depth an the same result.
So I put duct tape over the hole, it shoul hold it nicely.

Now what I don't understand is this: condensate would get created up, and would then drain down, passing through the pipe I made a hole in. So if I drilled a hole and water came out, wouldn't that mean that the restriction is located downwards from the hole? Because if it was upwards, then the water wouldn't be there in the first place. So I guess all the gunk is located somewhere in the drain tube from the hole towards the rail, right?

So how far & how hard should I push the wire if I go forward (in the direction the drill bit went in)?

Hmm, so drain tube appears to be clean (but i would still spray ac clean foam)

this is the end of drain tube (straight ahead after the hole). Its very short

Don't know if there is enough space underneath to look for this tube. But if the water goes out from the tube, if should appear somewhere (water will always find a route). Try to go underneath and look whats going on. Maybe hole is clogged up with tar from roadworks, or maybe car was painted underneath with anti-gravel coating?
Unread 07-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #73
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

So if I push from inside with a very hard wire, and I push hard, I can't do no harm? The resistance I feel is a clog?
Because from the pictures it looks like there's this 2" of tube from the point where I drilled the hole and the end of the drain tube. And the tube should be open at the end, right? So if I push the wire and feel resistance (like rubber something) and it blocks the wire, should I just use a long drill bit and push right through?

Unread 07-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #74
megusta
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
So if I push from inside with a very hard wire, and I push hard, I can't do no harm? The resistance I feel is a clog?
Because from the pictures it looks like there's this 2" of tube from the point where I drilled the hole and the end of the drain tube. And the tube should be open at the end, right? So if I push the wire and feel resistance (like rubber something) and it blocks the wire, should I just use a long drill bit and push right through?

don't know mate. if to think logically, water goes down from the tube, not forward. so if there is a clog, it should be below tube end.
how deep do you insert the wire if you go forward (where do you feel the clog)?
Unread 07-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #75
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

I don't get it... If I got it right, the drain tube goes from under the dash somewhere, runs straight down to the place where we drill the hole, and ftom there it makes a turn forwards, towards the firewall, through it and there it ends. It' an elbow, 90 degrees, and we drill the hole right into that elbow: that's why you can run the wire up twds the windshiedl and front through the firewall.
What I don't get is that everybody says (including TSB) to run the wire "straight through towards the firewall". But noone says anywhere if this wire should pass through or if you should run just like 2" of wire or what. From what I've gathered and seen on those pics (uncluding the last one you posted where the drain pipe is clearly visible), I should take a screwdriver and ram it straight in that hole I drilled, through the firewall, until it can pass right through.

Can somebidy confirm please? I don't want to break something

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.