Repairing a Clogged AC Drain - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Repairing a Clogged AC Drain

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #46
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

Here is the solution for the leaky drain around the plastic. Remember to read other than just looking at pictures and going out and cutting away.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/ac-d...pet-fix-24246/

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #47
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Turbonut has it dead on. You have to cut the hole in the frame to access the drain. The problem is even after you do the drill and plug thing you still wind up with a wet floor. Not always, but quite frequently. The outside drain is a short stub out the firewall, completely boxed by the frame. Once you cut the hole with a hole saw you attach a short curved hose to prevent dripback which gets past the rotted foam gasket and back into your cabin. This holds true for 96-98 zj's. Others may be different, not sure.

Swataz, I also have a 02 WJ and the drain exits the firewall in the normal not twilightzone fashion. You can't find yours? I kinda think if you have ATC the drain locales may be different but I'm not sure. Niether of mine have ATC{ more crap to go wrong}.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #48
clapton
1996 ZJ 

x2-follow/look into the link in post #46. Thanks corrupt for the link & advice.
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #49
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

I bit the bullet and cut the hole per the link in post 46. It leaves a little unsaid that is important. If you know exactly where to cut, you only have to deal with one layer of metal and you do not cut the frame rail. I used my available tools and stuff i had laying around to do the job.

See picture below. I stuck the unnecessarily cut out piece in the hole for reference. The white piece at 3 3/4" doesn't need to be cut out.

When you lay out the cut:
No less than 1 5/8" from the red marked tab at the top or you'll cut into the bottom of the engine bay cowl.
No more than 3 5/8" down from the red marked tab at the top or you'll cut into the frame.

As you can see, I didn't make the aft vertical cut and bent a flap to work through. When I was done, I bent it back, cleaned, painted, and sealed.

I used a piece of 2 1/2L X 5/8ID heater hose with adjustable band clamp and a 3/4 copper fitting to turn the water down. The OD of hose is a firm (forced) press fit into copper fitting. The hose in the pic is not the one I used. This is what i had in my shop, so i used it. A trip to the store would have probably yielded a better method like a molded 90* rubber elbow.

You'll also need to unbolt the brake line retainer and bend the line out of the way to get in there and make the cuts. I used a combination of a 3/8 drill bit, jig saw, Dremel tool with cut disc, and a big ol' honkin reciprocating saw (be careful!). I was thinking, if I had a metal hole saw, that would be the ticket.

Be careful not to crimp the line, make gradual small bends as you go down the line. AND, be sure to carefully bend the line and reattach the brake line retainer when you're done.
p1010652-480x640-.jpg   p1010653-640x480-.jpg  
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 02:41 AM   #50
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

My mechanic did this to me when he was replacing my inner evaporator core (tearing the dash apart) - only he did the hole in a different location. When I saw the hole I asked him if that was to clean the drain and he said yes. Back then I didn't know the location of his hole was different than this one.
Still, I don't have the drain-in-the-cabin problem, nor did I have it before this. So I dunno... here's the location of the hole he made (see pic)
dsc_0377.jpg  
Unread 07-25-2011, 04:47 AM   #51
spur0701

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
My mechanic did this to me when he was replacing my inner evaporator core (tearing the dash apart) - only he did the hole in a different location. When I saw the hole I asked him if that was to clean the drain and he said yes. Back then I didn't know the location of his hole was different than this one.
Still, I don't have the drain-in-the-cabin problem, nor did I have it before this. So I dunno... here's the location of the hole he made (see pic)
That's the fix that's discussed previously in the thread. You drill a hole there, use compressed air or a wire hanger to clean it out, then put a plug or stopper in the hole till next time you need to use it as a clean out. The issue is that sometimes that doesn't solve the problem, if the the gasket around the drain is deteriorated then at highway speeds water will be pushed passed it and seep into the cabin.....if that's the case then you do the second fix and extend the drain enough to prevent that....or at least that's my understanding.
spur0701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 06:07 AM   #52
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

I get that, but as I said, my mechanic didn't drill the hole where the pic shows the drill, but more to the up&left, where I've Photoshopped a white circle with the red outline. That's what I was asking about - is it the same, or did he just plain miss the whole thing and put an unnecessary hole in something (and what)
Unread 07-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #53
megusta
1996 ZJ 

in case you don't have an air compressor, you can use this (AC cleaning foam):

megusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #54
spur0701

Quote:
I get that, but as I said, my mechanic didn't drill the hole where the pic shows the drill, but more to the up&left, where I've Photoshopped a white circle with the red outline. That's what I was asking about - is it the same, or did he just plain miss the whole thing and put an unnecessary hole in something (and what)
Ahhh....I got you now, sorry I'm a little dense....no, never eard of drilling there......
spur0701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #55
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I don't believe the spot where you say your mechanic drilled a hole is a good spot. If I remember correctly you're not to far from your heater core when you're up in that location.

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #56
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Yeah thats definately in the danger zone.
Unread 07-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #57
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If you remove the blower motor you can feel the evaporator wiyh your hand, so I'm guessing the heater core is close to where the hole was drilled.
Unread 07-26-2011, 04:09 AM   #58
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

I see...
OK, another Q here: I never got wet inside, so it would seem that the drain is still OK, but I also never saw any trace of condensate on the outside of the Jeep. I looked on the psg side, after driving with AC and then parking, but I never saw even a drop of condensate. And the weather gets hot (over 100*F) and high moisture in the air too. So, what should I do? Drill the hole and clean it or just let it be since the carpet is not wet?

Also, since I don't have air to blow out possible gunk, can I insert something there to clean it or how do I go about it?
Unread 07-26-2011, 04:33 AM   #59
megusta
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I see...
OK, another Q here: I never got wet inside, so it would seem that the drain is still OK, but I also never saw any trace of condensate on the outside of the Jeep. I looked on the psg side, after driving with AC and then parking, but I never saw even a drop of condensate. And the weather gets hot (over 100*F) and high moisture in the air too. So, what should I do? Drill the hole and clean it or just let it be since the carpet is not wet?

Also, since I don't have air to blow out possible gunk, can I insert something there to clean it or how do I go about it?
Yes.
I had the same problem (no water inside or under the car). Your AC drain is clogged up. Just drill a hole, and do what I posted in http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...l#post11913642

Ac clean foam will dissolve dirt (i had a lot of stuff in there, spiders, flies, leafs etc), and after it soaked up a little bit, insert a stiff wire in the hole and try to go up with it few times (gently).
megusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 04:48 AM   #60
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Go up - like push the coathanger wire upwards, towards the windshield? Or straight ahead, as the drill bit was? Or downwards, as in towards the floor?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.