Repairing a Clogged AC Drain - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Repairing a Clogged AC Drain

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #31
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Could be either way - depends on how much water is backed up in the cowl/drain.

Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #32
farmerj

still having issues with "wet carpet"

and I mean, "pull back the carpet and dip it out with a bucket"

After this last go round, I am concidering putting in a bilge pump. Seems now it's pouring in when it rains.
farmerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2008, 07:07 AM   #33
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

You have a door seal issue then...not necessarily just (or not even) an AC issue. Have somebody run a hose over the top/front of the vehicle while you watch for leaks.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2008, 07:49 AM   #34
farmerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
You have a door seal issue then...not necessarily just (or not even) an AC issue. Have somebody run a hose over the top/front of the vehicle while you watch for leaks.
From what I have researched here, more likely a cowling drain issue.

I haven't gotten to the point of running a hose on the cowl or hood.

I have a much better fix for the issue.

Sell the Jeep and buy another 4Runner.
farmerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:19 AM   #35
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

can't tell you how helpful this was. my carpet is SATURATED 24/7 and i knew it was the a/c drain, just no way to unclog. left the shop-vac hooked to the drain for an hour yesterday and got a little tiny bit of clog out. def gonna try blowin it out today. thanks!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #36
scottfelsen
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the great pics. I am doing this today thanks to your pictures.
scottfelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #37
iPlay1515
1993 ZJ 

Great thread.
iPlay1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #38
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

just did it on my 99 wj. worked perfectly. blew a shot of air through at 250psi and about a quart of water flooded out onto the shop floor. plugged it up with commercial grade roof caulk. voila
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #39
iPlay1515
1993 ZJ 

Just wondering if it's possible to use this method to fill the cooling coil housing with cleaner so I can clean the dust, dog hair, etc. from the a/c evaporator coil and heater core without taking the housing and the dash apart??
iPlay1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 06:00 AM   #40
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

maybe, but i dont really know. my hole was drilled at an upward angle so liquid would run out. youd have to work on sealing the hole without everything running out
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #41
BondoNutz
1996 ZJ 

Old thread same issue

I'm ready to throw a feking hammer through the windshield I so dam mad. This has ben leaking a long time and never noticed, my carpet is ruined ?!

I've cut a 1"x1" hole in the visable part of the plastric drain housing and ran coat hanger and 2ft of vacumm line and comressed air and dirt and junk came out from under the dash, kinda rained down ?

Heres where its gets crazy ? The drain and far as I can tell the upper tube is clear but.... water runs down from OUTSIDE the plastic housing. Even though I felt no resistance I somehow managed to dissconnect a vacumm line and now it blows harder from under neath than out my dash vents. ARRGHHHH(holds pistol to head in fustration)
BondoNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #42
fumblefingers
2014 WK 

Good write up. My daughter called me yesterday with the same problem.. Took it to a shop and they could not find the drain hose after putting 95 on a rack. I emailed this thread to her and she should be able to show friend how to do the job. My 2001 had trash in bottom of evaporator but I got it out when I replaced the blend doors.
fumblefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #43
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Okay, my floorboard is wet and the drain is clear. Carpet is pulled back and I know it's water from the heater box.

Short of pulling the heater box or cutting a hole in the fender well to repair the seal, I'm wandering if I can enlarge the hole I drilled in the heater box and force a piece of (carefully sized) tubing through from the inside so it takes the water further down. I realize this will reduce the volume of water capable of draining and it may get stopped up easier. Another thought, step the ID up on the existing drain hole before pushing tube through.

Thoughts?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:37 AM   #44
fumblefingers
2014 WK 

Don't know but if it is anything like my 2001 Ltd the evaporator had crud, hair and whatever. This was causing the coil to freeze. I had a problem with the blend doors previously and had done a repair by cutting a window into the housing (see blend door repair for instructions). I simply removed the tape repair to expose the evaporator, then pulled the blower motor (held on with 3 screws) which gave me access to both sides of the evaporator.

next I bought some coil cleaner at HD (The squirt bottle kind NOT the aerosol) and soaked the evaporator back toward the blower motor housing. After 10 minutes I used a garden hose with a trigger nozzle and in short burst rinsed the evaporator. The crud collected on the blower side at the bottom of the evaporator which I fished out with a stiff wire since my hand was too big to get it all.

Since my drain was still working there was a pathway to get the water out but I suspect that since the access allowed me to get to the bottom of the evaporator, I could have been able to run a wire down the drain to clear the crud.
fumblefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #45
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumblefingers View Post
Good write up. My daughter called me yesterday with the same problem.. Took it to a shop and they could not find the drain hose after putting 95 on a rack. I emailed this thread to her and she should be able to show friend how to do the job. My 2001 had trash in bottom of evaporator but I got it out when I replaced the blend doors.
You couldn't find the drain hose since its in the frame rail. Short of cutting into the rail there is no access to the hose side of the drain. Honestly the shop must not have done any research since this has been a TSB for probably a decade or so now.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.