Repairing a Clogged AC Drain - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Repairing a Clogged AC Drain

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #136
skunkwks
1997 ZJ 

I have the same issue on a 97 ZJ 4.0 I6 and I think it might be the A/C drain is blocked. One question I have not seen posted (it my be but I did not find it) is the 4.0 set up like the V8 model? Also a buddy said he had a couple jeeps, mainly in the Cherokee and it was the front cowl that leaked through the seals as they deteriorated. Has anyone else had this problem that causes water to run down the console and into the floor board. I also wonder if this type of leaking might be accounting for seemingly shorting out dash components (another problem I am having).

skunkwks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #137
MHPALA
1998 ZJ 

I suggest first pulling the carpet back in the area of the passenger floorboard, and sealing around the EVAP drain.
MHPALA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #138
skunkwks
1997 ZJ 

I have located the drain and plan on blowing it out and sealing it up. What seems strange is the carpet is wet right in the middle of the floor board. It is not wet at the top where the drain is or on the sides. Can this be the same problem?
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #139
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkwks View Post
I have located the drain and plan on blowing it out and sealing it up. What seems strange is the carpet is wet right in the middle of the floor board. It is not wet at the top where the drain is or on the sides. Can this be the same problem?
Probably...under the carpet is a pretty thick pad, and as gravity would have it, the water drains down to the floor board where it pools, and then gets soaked up into pad and carpet.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #140
skunkwks
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebian View Post
Probably...under the carpet is a pretty thick pad, and as gravity would have it, the water drains down to the floor board where it pools, and then gets soaked up into pad and carpet.
I pulled the carpet up tonight and that is exactly right. There is a plastic liner under the pad and the liner was ripped in the middle allowing the water to seep up there first. Also I was AMAZED how much standing water was under the carpet and floor board.
The A/C drain blew out easy and did not seem to be blocked. I am going to next take the cowl off to clean out the heater/AC vent and seal any leaks that might be occurring as most of the water seems to be traveling from under the dash and down the door interior plastic trim.
Unread 02-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #141
mickeyd411

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunisherZJ View Post
I know this topic has been covered, I actually learned how to do it from this site. One thing I could not find is any actual photos of the process. I took some photos of the job to help others with the same problem.

I had moisture on the passenger side floor pan of my 97 GC 5.2L. It didn't feel or smell like antifreeze so I eliminated the heater core as an issue. I learned from members of Jeepforum that it was possibly a clogged AC drain. Using the recommendations from others I started the job.

Locate the HVAC box drain by pulling the carpet back on the passenger side. Its a round piece that goes into the firewall.

Drill a 1/4 inch hole into drain

Blow out with air

I wasn't able to locate a rubber plug to plug the hole but I did find find a plastic fastener for interior trim. Once I can locate a rubber plug to fit, I plan on changing it out.

Applied a bit of Goop to help seal

Installed plug then cover surface with more Goop to ensure a good seal
I had this issue too, wish I had known about this site then. I drilled out bigger, went to hardware store, made up something similar to a boat plug with brass and rubber to be able to tighten up, then easily remove to clean drain periodically, works great, going strong for the years now
mickeyd411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #142
mickeyd411

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
Can a plugged drain and/or bad foam seal cause the wet floorboard problem even when the A/C isnt being used or should I be looking elsewhere? I never use my A/C (compressor is unplugged) but my passenger side floorboard is always wet. At first I chalked it up to the fact that the humidity level here is in the 50% range 9 mos out of the year and it was condensation from the A/C core but now that we've hit our stride for the daily 1" of rain its even worse, I can literally see the water squish out of the carpet when anyone puts their feet on the floor.
Yes, if that seal goes, any water that gets on the rail (which is where the a c drains too on a zj) will make its way to the lowest point in the floor and puddle up
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #143
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

My problem is the PO broke the bottom of the case open, I've glued a panel on to seal it, it leaked, I'm looking at making a metal case that fits over the bottom and rivets on, from there I'll just run a new drain hose through the floor pan, unless the AC quits first, in which case I'll just go ahead and pull the dash and fix it right. Now just gotta get a tank for my welder so I can make the metal box. The last road trip in the summer resulted in me removing 3 gallons of water, it flooded the passeger side, all the way to the rear seat.
V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #144
mickeyd411

Quote:
Originally Posted by V65Ozzie View Post
My problem is the PO broke the bottom of the case open, I've glued a panel on to seal it, it leaked, I'm looking at making a metal case that fits over the bottom and rivets on, from there I'll just run a new drain hose through the floor pan, unless the AC quits first, in which case I'll just go ahead and pull the dash and fix it right. Now just gotta get a tank for my welder so I can make the metal box. The last road trip in the summer resulted in me removing 3 gallons of water, it flooded the passeger side, all the way to the rear seat.
I am in the process of scrapping my 97, stripping parts and selling off. If you would be interested, what would it be worth to you?
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #145
JLROSE80

Bump
JLROSE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #146
N3KRV
1995 ZJ 

Just for your information jeep parts dealers have made a plug to fit that modification, in fact they have that listed as a fix for the clogged a/c drain and they have a plug to fit it a bit expensive at $10.00 but if you drill the 1/4" hole like the mod says it will fit perfectly. Oh they do have a printout for that mod.
N3KRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #147
N3KRV
1995 ZJ 

I haven't posted in a long time but here it goes, I started to hear a squealing from the back as I lightly applied the brakes, not I've only had 5000 miles on the new pads so I wasn't sure what was going on, so I had Pep boys inspect my brakes all around, come to find out the rotors were glazed and could not be turned, so I had to get another set of rotors and pads, and while I was at it I'm replacing the parking brake shoes and all hardware, since I got the replacement rotors from my local pick and pay I took them to pep boys and had them turned. So by Sunday afternoon I'll have all complete new brakes on the back of my jeep, I've already replaced the front rotors later on I'll go ahead and replace the front pads then the brakes will be compleatly new all way around, I'm also replacing the valve cover gasket with a rubber one on Sunday, I have a little leakage around the valve cover. I also replaced the white driving lights with real pure yellow bulbs so I now have true fog lights. I now just have to get a good drivers side door replace that and get a front end alignment, climbing in through the passenger side door gets pretty old now lol the drivers side door lock shattered and the door won't stay shut had to tie it shut lol and since state inspection is coming up in 3 months I'll have to find a door and fix it.
N3KRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #148
tmlicking
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

So I've got the same problem (hopefully it's not something else anyway). Sounds like an easy fix, my issue though is that I don't have my dad's garage full of tools anymore (just stationed in Pensacola, the super high humidity is causing a lot of condensation...). Any thoughts on how to do the same repair without the tools, or at least without the air compressor? I can figure a way to drill a hole easy enough and sealing it again is simple, but how else can I clear the drain without an air compressor?
tmlicking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #149
Tagg

OK, New Findings !!!

I just purchased a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We are putting another engine in it and I happened to feel the passenger side floor carpeting. Guess what ???, it was water soaked. It hasn't rained for about a week and I tested the heater core it shows good. So I cut out the carpet by removing the seat, dried the area and took the carpet piece inside to dryout. Next day Rain started and when it quit the floor board had about 2 ounces of water on it front of the seat bracket. So I checked out this thread and checked the sunroof drain, OK. Checked the antenna wall rubber ok. I then soaked the entire area of the passenger side and along the front above and below the windshield. It took a while but this is what I found to be happening, as the water ran around the front passenger side door that at the very front bottom of the weatherstripping that the water was building up slightly and draining to the inside floor board. Please see pics attached. SORRY for the long posting but just wanted everyone to understand what is happening here. The weatherstripping does not appear to be damaged. Could I just cut a little notch on the door side of the stripping to drain toward the door here ? Thanks.
002.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

Tagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #150
phileake
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Youtube Video: How To

This video helped me understand this process. Hopefully will help others.

This link might also help:
http://www.jeep-club.at/troubless/TSB/24-06-96.htm
phileake is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.