Repairing a Clogged AC Drain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Repairing a Clogged AC Drain

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 01-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
PunisherZJ

Repairing a Clogged AC Drain

I know this topic has been covered, I actually learned how to do it from this site. One thing I could not find is any actual photos of the process. I took some photos of the job to help others with the same problem.

I had moisture on the passenger side floor pan of my 97 GC 5.2L. It didn't feel or smell like antifreeze so I eliminated the heater core as an issue. I learned from members of Jeepforum that it was possibly a clogged AC drain. Using the recommendations from others I started the job.

Locate the HVAC box drain by pulling the carpet back on the passenger side. Its a round piece that goes into the firewall.

Drill a 1/4 inch hole into drain

Blow out with air

I wasn't able to locate a rubber plug to plug the hole but I did find find a plastic fastener for interior trim. Once I can locate a rubber plug to fit, I plan on changing it out.

Applied a bit of Goop to help seal

Installed plug then cover surface with more Goop to ensure a good seal

PunisherZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
Dillonzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunisherZJ
I know this topic has been covered, I actually learned how to do it from this site. One thing I could not find is any actual photos of the process. I took some photos of the job to help others with the same problem.

I had moisture on the passenger side floor pan of my 97 GC 5.2L. It didn't feel or smell like antifreeze so I eliminated the heater core as an issue. I learned from members of Jeepforum that it was possibly a clogged AC drain. Using the recommendations from others I started the job.

Locate the HVAC box drain by pulling the carpet back on the passenger side. Its a round piece that goes into the firewall.

Drill a 1/4 inch hole into drain

Blow out with air

I wasn't able to locate a rubber plug to plug the hole but I did find find a plastic fastener for interior trim. Once I can locate a rubber plug to fit, I plan on changing it out.

Applied a bit of Goop to help seal

Installed plug then cover surface with more Goop to ensure a good seal
nice pictures

Crane Cam shaft and Crane, Roller Rockers, bored .030 over, edelbrock performer heads, M1 Intake manifold, Fasstman throttle body, magnacore wires, platinum plugs, K&N FIPK, dough thorley headers,3" high flow cat, 3" magnaflow mandrel bent exhaust, SCT tuned

***future mods -5.5 IRO LA - KOR sliders -KOR roof rack -

SOLD-
95' JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED
188k 5.2L v8 White 98 ZJ rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454 View Post
...we all know they empty our pockets...yet they fill our hearts...

MY BUILD THREAD
Dillonzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
PunisherZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillonzj
nice pictures
Thanks! How did you get them to open on the thread? I used the img tags but it just showed the link.
Unread 01-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Darthteddy
1955 M-38 

Must have 50 posts and be here a month to have pictures show up. Great write up. If mine ever clogs, now ill know what to do.
55 Willy's M38a1 - 231v6, 33" Super Swampers, D44 Full Floater Rear, Locked Front and Rear, 5.38 Gears, Viair OBA, Bilsteen 5100 shocks, Dana 18, Turbo 350, S10 Power Steering, Tilt-wheel, Full Cage, Flat Fenders....
Darthteddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
PunisherZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthteddy
Must have 50 posts and be here a month to have pictures show up. Great write up. If mine ever clogs, now ill know what to do.
Oh okThat makes since. I just went out and changed that plug to a rubber plug. I'll update the thread in a bit.
Unread 01-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
PunisherZJ

As I mentioned above, I changed my mind about using that plastic trim fastener for a plug. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and grabbed a set of universal plugs:

Found one that somewhat fit but had to shave it a bit to make it fit tight and go all the way in the hole:

Added Goop to seal it...all done
Unread 01-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Dillonzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunisherZJ
As I mentioned above, I changed my mind about using that plastic trim fastener for a plug. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and grabbed a set of universal plugs:

Found one that somewhat fit but had to shave it a bit to make it fit tight and go all the way in the hole:

Added Goop to seal it...all done
pictures!

Crane Cam shaft and Crane, Roller Rockers, bored .030 over, edelbrock performer heads, M1 Intake manifold, Fasstman throttle body, magnacore wires, platinum plugs, K&N FIPK, dough thorley headers,3" high flow cat, 3" magnaflow mandrel bent exhaust, SCT tuned

***future mods -5.5 IRO LA - KOR sliders -KOR roof rack -

SOLD-
95' JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED
188k 5.2L v8 White 98 ZJ rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454 View Post
...we all know they empty our pockets...yet they fill our hearts...

MY BUILD THREAD
Dillonzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
Turbonut

Great writeup if the drain is clogged, but many times the seal at the firewall deteriorates and allows water to run back into the comparment when the Jeep is uphill.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
PunisherZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillonzj
pictures!
Thanks!
Unread 01-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
PunisherZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Great writeup if the drain is clogged, but many times the seal at the firewall deteriorates and allows water to run back into the comparment when the Jeep is uphill.
I'm hoping this was the problem. Guess I'll know in a few days. I'll look into that if I still have an issue.
Unread 01-02-2008, 06:38 AM   #11
georged
2004 WJ 

Just looked at the picture of the package of assorted bumpers. It looks like one of them would be perfect for the gas door bumpers that seem to disppear.
georged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 06:43 AM   #12
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonut
that is my problem.
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
Turbonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonash
that is my problem.
Well, your PM's are filled, but you need to cut a 2" x 3" access hole behond the right front wheel. Then attach either a curved hose to the drain, or since I had a large plastic washer in the garage, I applied silicone around the tube at the firewall and slid the washer over into the silicone and against the firewall. Covered 2 x 3 hole with sheet metal and undercoating. Never leaked again.
I did this back in 1998 and was fine when the Jeep was sold in 2003.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #14
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Wonderful writeup! Needs to be sent to the tech articles section!
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #15
swataz
1999 WJ 

I have the same problem with no AC drainage, and this is all great info and I will attempt it soon.

My question is this -- is there NO way to access the drain tube on the engine side of the firewall?
swataz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.