Repaired leaking brake power booster, but now brake lights are on all the time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Repaired leaking brake power booster, but now brake lights are on all the time

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 05-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
MNWJ
1999 WJ 

Repaired leaking brake power booster, but now brake lights are on all the time

I was getting a vacuum leak hiss under the dash, clearly related to brake pedal manipulation, so a power booster vacuum leak. I was afraid that it was a leaking diaphram, but it turned out that the a round seal that surrounds the white plastic pipe on the actuator shaft had popped loose. I could not push it on because the break pedal assembly mounting bracket restricted access. My dad took the braket off. I pushed the seal back into place and relubed the shaft. My dad reinstalled the brake pedal bracket. The hiss is gone, but now the break lights are continuously on because the break pedal arm is at least 1/4" away from the switch when the brakes are not applied.
The bracket appears to be located properly and seated completely.
The button is connected to the same bracket and does not seem to be adjustable. As far as we recall, we did not rotate the actuator rod, so we did not make it shorter (if it is even adjustable in length).
Any ideas what we did wrong?

MNWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
MNWJ
1999 WJ 

I forgot to ask, is there supposed to be any kind of a "bumper" attached to the actuator on the brake pedal switch? I assume not, but maybe we lost it without noticing it?
Unread 05-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
MNWJ
1999 WJ 

Oops, I forgot to include that it's a 99 Grand Cherokee.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.