Removing ZJ stock stepside. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Removing ZJ stock stepside.

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 10-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
JalamaLocal
1996 ZJ 

Removing ZJ stock stepside.

My 1996 Zj Cherokee has the gold package i believe. All of the emblems are gold (super lame) i know. Besides the fact that i might paint the thing a new color because its silver/gray i need to remove the stepside deal. Right?! I mean when i lift it that would get in the way. What's the safest approach

Also what is the best looking color for the ZJ's

JalamaLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalamaLocal View Post
My 1996 Zj Cherokee has the gold package i believe. All of the emblems are gold (super lame) i know. Besides the fact that i might paint the thing a new color because its silver/gray i need to remove the stepside deal. Right?! I mean when i lift it that would get in the way. What's the safest approach

Also what is the best looking color for the ZJ's
post a pic of your step sides, but i don't believe any ZJ's came with them factory.

and the best color is black or pearl white
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

are those the plastic or fiber glass sidesteps or whatever? Those had to be bought separately if so, i only know that because my parents had those put on by a dealership when they first bought my jeep when i was a kid....havent had them on in years now, but if i look by the rocker, i see some places where there are what appear to be bolt holes in the pinch seam so i would assume there's some mounting points there and there are probably a couple other places but i'm not sure....my dad removed them years ago. post some pictures up and i'm sure someone can be a bit more help than me

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
vonericsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 02:21 AM   #4
JalamaLocal
1996 ZJ 

This is it...
Unread 10-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
RJSoAZ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalamaLocal View Post

This is it...
fixed
RJSoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
azjlife4me
1995 ZJ 

I took my running boards off of my 95 zj gold edition not too long ago - All I had to do to remove them was to take out the two bolts at the front and back on each side and they were off. Just crawl under there and after looking for a minute you should easily be able to find where its mounted if it was anything like mine. Take a socket wrench with the correct socket size and just drop it right off. But, (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) I can't see a reason that you would have to take them off to lift your vehicle? - It's bolted on to your body and will just move right up along with it as far as I know... And my Jeep is kind of a tan with a hint of gold to it - I like that well enough.
azjlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
JalamaLocal
1996 ZJ 

These three cheesy details will eventually be fixed. 1- the gold ugly emblems 2- the stepside and 3- the RIMS haha awful! What would be an alternative instead of those ugly things without a lift for now? I think black on black would be legit.
Unread 10-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Personally I like my factory running boards, but its also my street queen with just a BB and 31's. Removing them is really simple, 3 brackets on each board hold them to the frame rails, and a few screws hold the plastic end pieces to the quarter panels. You might need a really short screwdriver to get those screws out with the wheels on, I know I had trouble taking them off. I painted mine black and reinstalled them though.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
RJSoAZ
1996 ZJ 

those wheels look nice painted black. if you do get different wheels make sure you go 16s.. i went 15s and im regretting the tire size choices
RJSoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
bloo0213

Step Sides

What did you do with the running boards? I would buy them if you still had them.
bloo0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
ELMCZJ95

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJSoAZ View Post
those wheels look nice painted black. if you do get different wheels make sure you go 16s.. i went 15s and im regretting the tire size choices
What?????? If anything it would be the opposite..
Unread 09-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #12
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo0213 View Post
What did you do with the running boards? I would buy them if you still had them.
Holy thread revival. And those running boards are hideous IMO and kill ground clearance by several inches in the middle of the Jeep. The first thing I did to my ZJ was remove them and throw them away lol
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
ROFLwaffles
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo0213 View Post
Do you seriously think he still has them after 3 YEARS?
ROFLwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.