Removing Oil Pan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Removing Oil Pan

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 02-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
IslandManMitch
1996 ZJ 

Removing Oil Pan

I need to check my oil pick-up tube inside my oil pan. What is the easy way if there is to remove my oil pan? I have a stock '96 ZJ Limited 4x4 with a 318. Thanks for any help, Mitch

IslandManMitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Why do you thing that the pick-up tube is leaking or partially clogged?

The reason why I ask is; I would suspect the oil pressure sending unit before I trust the oil pressure dash board gage.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new

Last edited by greasefingers; 02-02-2007 at 06:44 PM..
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
IslandManMitch
1996 ZJ 

Independent oil pressure gauge agrees with dash gauge. The pick up tube screen needs cleaning. I was hoping someone could tell me if I can drop the oil pan without taking motor loose before I try and it not work. Has anyone dropped the oil pan and if so what was the best way? Thanks Mitch
Unread 02-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
matt.x
1995 ZJ 

IIRC (its been about 1.5 yrs), on the I6, you have to remove the flywheel cover plate (where the starter is), the starter, you have to raise the engine (maybe not if you have a lift, I did this before lifting my jeep) which means disconnecting the motor mounts, then remove the pan bolts.

I thought I could do it without raising the engine, but the pan hits the front axle housing and hangs on the oil pump pickup. The V8 may be different, I'd suggest looking at the Haynes manual, as it has all the needed steps with nice pictures.

Oh, and make some "pegs" by buying 4 bolts that will screw into the pan mounting holes to assist in reinstalling the pan - it helps a TON.

Oh and I also had to disconnect the exhaust...

its a bit of work, I did it to replace the rear main seal.

-Matthew
Red Jeep Club Member #237
matt.x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2007, 06:04 AM   #5
IslandManMitch
1996 ZJ 

The Jeep repair book say to do exactly what you said plus remove the starter. I have found that the book sometimes makes you take steps that are not needed but sometimes you have to do it by the book. Thanks, Mitch
Unread 02-03-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
matt.x
1995 ZJ 

Yea, lifting the engine was kind of a pain, but not terrible... I did it using a stack of cement weights, the good ole jeep bottle jack, and a block of wood underneath the harmonic balancer.

for anyone doing this to a 4.0, you might want to look into replacing the o rings in the 90 degree angle adapter on the oil filter, if you're having leaks around that area. Easy fix, you just need a big torx socket and the gasket set (like $5 at the stealership). You can only do this with the engine raised b/c the adapter is too close to the frame rail otherwise.
Red Jeep Club Member #237
matt.x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
BradMB2004

VIA alldata.com

Removal and Installation

REMOVAL

Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
Raise the vehicle.
Remove the oil pan drain plug and drain the engine oil.
Remove the oil filter.
Remove the starter. Refer to Starting and Charging.
If equipped with an oil level sensor, disconnect the sensor.
Position the cooler lines out of the way.
Disconnect the oxygen sensor.
Remove exhaust pipe.
Remove the oil pan bolts. Carefully slide the oil pan and gasket to the rear. If equipped with an oil level sensor, take care not to damage the sensor.
INSTALLATION

Fabricate 4 alignment dowels from 5/16 x 1 1/2 inch bolts. Cut the head off the bolts and cut a slot into the top of the dowel. This will allow easier installation and removal with a screwdriver.

Install the dowels in the cylinder block.
Apply small amount of Mopar Silicone Rubber Adhesive Sealant, or equivalent in the corner of the cap and the cylinder block.
Slide the one-piece gasket over the dowels and onto the block.
Position the oil pan over the dowels and onto the gasket. If equipped with an oil level sensor, take care not to damage the sensor.
Install the oil pan bolts. Tighten the bolts to 24 Nm (215 inch lbs.) torque.
Remove the dowels. Install the remaining oil pan bolts. Tighten these bolts to 24 Nm (215 inch lbs.) torque.
Install the drain plug. Tighten drain plug to 34 Nm (25 ft. lbs.) torque.
Install exhaust pipe.
Connect the oxygen sensor.
Install the oil filter.
If equipped with an oil level sensor, connect the sensor.
Install the starter.
Move the cooler lines back into position.
Lower vehicle.
Connect the negative cable to the battery.
Fill the oil pan with engine oil to the specified level. WARNING: USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN THE ENGINE IS OPERATING. DO NOT STAND IN A DIRECT LINE WITH THE FAN. DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS NEAR THE PULLEYS, BELTS OR FAN. DO NOT WEAR LOOSE CLOTHING.
Start the engine and inspect for leaks.
1997 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
BradMB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.