Removing Gold Decals and Pin-stripe - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Removing Gold Decals and Pin-stripe

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-05-2004, 04:37 PM   #1
boilingpoint

Removing Gold Decals and Pin-stripe

Hi there,

I have a 93 JGC Limited with the stock gold decals and stripping. Is there an easy way to remove all the gold decals and stripping without causing harm to the paint?

My idea is to remove all the gold and replace it with a silver color.

Thanks.

boilingpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2004, 12:18 AM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilingpoint
Hi there,

I have a 93 JGC Limited with the stock gold decals and stripping. Is there an easy way to remove all the gold decals and stripping without causing harm to the paint?

Thanks.
I don't believe any of the striping is decal work. I think it is all paint underneath the clear coat. I don't know of anyone that has successfully removed the gold.
Unread 05-06-2004, 12:57 AM   #3
djorkboy
1996 ZJ 

I think there are very few people who have not thought of removing the gold bling-bling from their ZJ (why did they ever do it in gold in the first place?!?!?).

But alas it is much harder to remove than just pin-striping. I would still love to remove mine. I was thinking of sanding it off and having the whole clear coat redone. Is that a reasonable option?
djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2004, 03:06 AM   #4
boilingpoint

Would this work??

How about we just have identical silver stickers designed and stick them over top of the stock gold?

Does that sound doable?
Unread 05-06-2004, 08:14 AM   #5
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
How about we just have identical silver stickers designed and stick them over top of the stock gold?

Does that sound doable?

Sounds much more doable than repainting a 1/8 inch thick line all the way around the Jeep.
Unread 05-07-2004, 02:58 PM   #6
motor city zj

Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks.

I have a '93 Limited and have thought about this too. The 2 narrow stripes just below the windows are definately just decals. You should be able to remove them by heating them with a heat gun or hair dryer and carefully scraping them off. Any sticky residue could be removed with Goof-Off or something similar. The bigger problem is the wide gold stripe on the body cladding. I thought about just using automotive aerosol cans to prime, paint and clear coat it. I painted my stock gold aluminum wheels black using this method about 6 months ago and they have held up well.

If your Jeep still looks nice you may not want to paint it yourself. Mine's kind of a beater so I don't mind the DIY paint job...

'06 Nissan 350Z
motor city zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2004, 07:52 PM   #7
boilingpoint

It doesnt amaze me how many of us dislike the gold treatment. I am going to make this my next project once I get all my mechanical stuff out of the way. I have owned my Jeep since new. It didnt bother me for the first 5yrs but then after that I kept thinking about it. If there is anyone out there that has successfully removed all the gold please post some pics. In addition to the stripping and decaling the badges will need to be addressed as well.
Unread 05-07-2004, 10:56 PM   #8
cfkingfish
Web Wheeler

On the 94 ZJ we just got, the previous owners put their names on each side of the front doors in cursive lettering. One side says Jeff, the other Linda. Really cute, but it needs to come off the car because it looks ridiculous.

-Christian
Converted to TJ axles - 5-297 U-joints
Optima Red Top
Custom exhaust

www.ishopfaulkner.com
cfkingfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2004, 11:20 PM   #9
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfkingfish
On the 94 ZJ we just got, the previous owners put their names on each side of the front doors in cursive lettering. One side says Jeff, the other Linda. Really cute, but it needs to come off the car because it looks ridiculous.

-Christian

I can only imagine the looks they must have gotten when they switched sides!
Unread 05-08-2004, 12:37 AM   #10
Crazed

Yup, the gold needs to leave mine also

[URL=http://www.superford.org/?vID=4880]My pics[/URL]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=red]Red Jeep Club Member #125[/COLOR] [/SIZE]
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2004, 01:37 AM   #11
Interloper

I'd be happy just to get rid of the strip on the cladding, I can live with the gold badging. I though about trying to paint over it. I'll be replacing the pimp daddy gold rims soon with some black steelies and want it GONE!

EDIT: check out kevin's site clicky go to the tech articles, there's 2 different write ups with some ideas.

"nobody cares what's underneath," ...Dieter Zetsche

Last edited by Interloper; 05-08-2004 at 02:32 AM..
Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2004, 02:28 PM   #12
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

I just noticed that out at the nagca sight that there were several guys who had "deleted gold package" in their comments. You might email one of them. Just a thought.

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.