Removing Door Panels for speakers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Removing Door Panels for speakers

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
Blk92XJGuy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Removing Door Panels for speakers

So I'm going to be replacing my stock speakers with aftermarket ones and I was wondering how the process is. I found a thread on NAGCA but it looks like the pics expired. I have to route 12 ga speaker wire too, so how will that work? Is easy to fish them through? Then I assume I just run it along the trim where the amp wire is, right?

Unread 01-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

When I rewired my Jeep's speaker wires, I ran the wires wherever I wanted as long as it was hidden. I ran the driver's side wires above the instrument cluster behind the trim, and the passenger side behind the glove box. After that, both sides run behind the trim along the carpet edges. The worst part is fishing the wires through the door wire boots. Once you figure it out on the 1st door, it's simple enough for the other 3 doors.
The rule of thumb for speaker wires (although it may be a myth) is to keep the amp wires separate from the speaker wires. Supposedly the amp wire will transmit noise into the speaker wire if they're run side by side.
If the speakers you bought aren't stock replacement, or you don't have the adapter rings, you'll be drilling new mounting holes. The easiest way of mounting them is to get a sheetmetal nut kit. Harbor freight sells those kits, and I have it and have used it, but it's cheap. If you can find a better quality kit, get it. I've destroyed about half the kit just because it's poor quality, but it'll get the job done eventually.
Unread 01-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
Blk92XJGuy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hmm ok. Good to know! I believe my speakers came with adapters. I'll double check though.

Cheers!
Unread 01-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
Blk92XJGuy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Will I need new door clips or should I be fine?
Unread 01-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
zwoobah
1996 ZJ 

You will probably break a few door clips but the remaining ones will do the job fine. Be as gentle as possible removing them.
zwoobah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
Blk92XJGuy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Right on. Any tips or just be gentle? First time ever actually removing a door panel. lol
Unread 01-06-2014, 03:39 AM   #7
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Try not to side load the clips, that what breaks them, pull directly away from the door. A nice firm pull to get each one.

But you're still gonna break a few. I got a box of clips for christmas years ago that I've been slowly going through. Not like they're expensive: http://www.amazon.com/Panel-Retainer.../dp/B0040CRTK8

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 03:45 AM   #8
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Speaking of Harbor Freight, there's a kit you can buy there that looks like little plastic pry bars. It's made for removing door panels and other trim without breaking clips or scratching stuff up. I used mine yesterday to remove one of my rear door panels to replace the power lock mechanism. Made the removal super easy and didn't damage any clips.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

What the hell kind of system are you running that would require 12ga speaker wires????

12ga wire can handle 41 amps. 41A x 12V = 492W per channel! Your amp will be pulling almost twice what your alternator can put out.

50W per channel only requires 24ga wire. The stock wires I do believe are 18ga, which means they can handle 192W per channel. Unless the stock wires are physically broken, why not use them?
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:00 AM   #10
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
What the hell kind of system are you running that would require 12ga speaker wires????

12ga wire can handle 41 amps. 41A x 12V = 492W per channel! Your amp will be pulling almost twice what your alternator can put out.

50W per channel only requires 24ga wire. The stock wires I do believe are 18ga, which means they can handle 192W per channel. Unless the stock wires are physically broken, why not use them?
Because there's some myth about RF interference with factory speaker wiring, so people get the fancy "shielded" expensive "speaker wire". In actuality, unless you're an insane audiophile, you'll never notice RF induction. And if you're that into speakers, you're not the sort who'd be asking how to run speaker wires.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 04:55 AM   #11
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I got 100W of RF on every band I can fit antennas for and I ain't never had a problem with the factory wiring and rf induction. Theres no way anything that a normal person would drive near is going to have the strength to do anything interesting.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
Glasssplinter
1994 ZJ 

Never understood the need for super overrated wiring in vehicles. See it all the time with tiny Honda's and what not where the alt only puts out around 75 amps and they are worried about running bigger than 0 gauge wire for an amp. Pure marketing. If you're worried about 12 gauge wire, what wire size is coming out of your HU? Probably 16-18 at most, the power cable is barely 14, maybe 12 on a good one.
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #13
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasssplinter View Post
Never understood the need for super overrated wiring in vehicles. See it all the time with tiny Honda's and what not where the alt only puts out around 75 amps and they are worried about running bigger than 0 gauge wire for an amp. Pure marketing. If you're worried about 12 gauge wire, what wire size is coming out of your HU? Probably 16-18 at most, the power cable is barely 14, maybe 12 on a good one.
Holy hell my 1000w sub is fed with 10g wires, why would you need anything bigger than 16g for satellite speakers?

Sent from mobile, where errors are common and I'm too lazy to correct them.
Gearhead31 Hooah!
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #14
Blk92XJGuy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
Because there's some myth about RF interference with factory speaker wiring, so people get the fancy "shielded" expensive "speaker wire". In actuality, unless you're an insane audiophile, you'll never notice RF induction. And if you're that into speakers, you're not the sort who'd be asking how to run speaker wires.

I was actually mistaken. It's 16ga wire. And it's not a huge setup, it's just a quality one. At least it is to me, since this is the first time I'm actually investing this much into the audio.

Still think the stock wiring would be fine? As long as there's no noticeable quality drop or static, I'll use them. Would save me time.. Does the stock wire go to a harness that fits the stock amp?

Unread 01-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #15
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

My jeep has a connector in the door harness between the body and door. How would you run wires through that? Ill be in kind of the same boat soon trying to figure out how to hook up my extra speakers in the sound bar I got which will be hook them to the rear speakers and risk a power loss run an amp just for the soundbar speakers or amp them all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.