Removing AC System questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Removing AC System questions.

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 09-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Removing AC System questions.

On my 96 5.2L ZJ, I plan on removing the condenser, dryer and the compressor mainly because I don't use it and the compressor squeals. Yes I know the AC is used for defrost to help with the moisture, but I'll live. I was looking under the Hood and saw a hose from the dryer going into the firewall, what do I with that? Any easy was to relieve the pressure on the lines? Or should I just unbolt and pull everything with the pressure? I've searched and only came up with the 4.0. Man...where's Ratmonkey when you need him? RIP my friend.

Unread 09-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Yea not the same here without Ratmonkey RIP

I removed all this stuff from my 94. I think you mean the hose goes to the evaporator. Just disconnect it and plug the hole at the firewall. You can release the pressure at the shraeder valve on lowside fill port. But that is illegal of course, you are supposed to have the freon professionally evacuated for recycling.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome
Yea not the same here without Ratmonkey RIP I removed all this stuff from my 94. I think you mean the hose goes to the evaporator. Just disconnect it and plug the hole at the firewall. You can release the pressure at the shraeder valve on lowside fill port. But that is illegal of course, you are supposed to have the freon professionally evacuated for recycling.
Ah okay, then ill vacuum it all out tomorrow. But it's pretty simply and straight forward right?
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
Ah okay, then ill vacuum it all out tomorrow. But it's pretty simply and straight forward right?
very
you need AC disconnect tool tho and the short serp belt
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome
very you need AC disconnect tool tho and the short serp belt
I'm throwing one of those bypass pulleys on. I work at a shop off and on, so I have access to all the tools needed.

Thanks for the info though!
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
ghiotom
1996 ZJ 

You live in Aiken. SC and you want to get rid of your AC? No offense, but that's the hottest hellhole in the southeast! That hose is part of the accumulator, it's one piece from the evaporator to the compressor.
ghiotom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiotom
You live in Aiken. SC and you want to get rid of your AC? No offense, but that's the hottest hellhole in the southeast! That hose is part of the accumulator, it's one piece from the evaporator to the compressor.
The high all year was 96....I still had my windows down. It's 83 right now.
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Been using Miracool. On the worst of days, one as a headband and one around the neck. Spares are kept in the cooler and swapped out every couple hours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.