Removal of rear sway bar? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Removal of rear sway bar?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no9avenger View Post
I would def go with that in the rear( better than a used one from a junk yard) but would a front one be compatible with my quick disconnects ?
I have a front ADDCO and it works with my JKS. There are two ways to bolt it together. One is that you shave the ends of the bar with a grinder, the other is that you bolt it under instead of over.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by no9avenger View Post
I would def go with that in the rear( better than a used one from a junk yard) but would a front one be compatible with my quick disconnects ?
My front worked fine with my discos

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #18
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
There is pretty much no improvement in flex with the rear removed. It's so small that it doesn't hinder you, but you WILL notice it gone at 45+ speeds.
x4 on that. With stock control arms, it makes little or no difference.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
craftworks125
1996 ZJ 

I have no front swaybar. I just replaced a link in the rear and the first time I flexed out the rear swaybar itself sheered. Is this because I have no front swaybar?
craftworks125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

I haven't had a rear sway bar in years and have had no ill affects. I drive on the expressway every week and being lifted on 33" tires in a vehicle with zero aerodynamics, you're going to get pushed around by the wind regardless. Definitely no flex benefits without one though.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #21
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I have run no rear sway bar for about a year now. The reason that I removed it was because of some back yard wheeling. I was attempting to climb a stump with the front discoed and rear bar connected. I wasn't able to get my jeep up the stump because the rear came off the ground just enough to spin and stop forward movement. I then removed the rear sway bar as well as disco-ing the front. Once I did this I was able to climb the same stump without the tires coming off the ground. Now it's possible it was all just luck that I climbed it fine without the rear sway bar, but I tend to think it is more because the sway bar was off. All that to say I haven't been running one since and it's somewhat noticeable on the street, but nothing life threatening; it just means you can't corner like a sports car
Unread 11-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #22
craftworks125
1996 ZJ 

So is it ok to run just a rear swaybar or will it snap again?
craftworks125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #23
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftworks125 View Post
So is it ok to run just a rear swaybar or will it snap again?
The OEM bar is tiny. It will snap eventually. If you want to run one, upgrade to a beefier one.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.