Remote Starter Woes and slow starting... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Remote Starter Woes and slow starting...

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

Remote Starter Woes and slow starting...

Hey guys, so I don't know if these two problems have anything to do with each other or not, but here goes:

1.) So my Jeep has some kind of aftermarket remote starter installed in it by the original owner. Whoop-dee-doo, I don't really care about them, but it's got it. However, it's already proven to be a problem. I don't know if it had some tacky wiring in it or what, but something don't quite seem to be right. For one, when you use it (hold "start" button for a few seconds while lights flash) it tries to start the Jeep, but doesn't turn it over long enough for it to start. Then when you go to get in after the failed start, everything inside is on, as if the key is turned to on, but the key is still in your hand. From there, when you try to start it, it will start up, but then just die immediately, and everything is still just set to on, even if you remove the key. So you gotta try lock and unlock cycles like crazy, until finally everything inside turns off, and then start it, but then like tonight, when you start it again, it will still keep killing itself. Finally, I had to start it, and quickly rev it up and hold it for a while, and then drop it into reverse holding a low rpm, and then into drive and drive a little bit, in which case it will then hold fine after. Makes NO sense. I want to just tear the damn thing right out of the car, but have no clue what to pull. I wonder if maybe it's not working properly because the remote batteries are nearly dead (only starts and unlocks Jeep from like 5ft away), idk. Just not gonna use it at all right now to avoid these little "lockout" fits.

2.) Part of the remote start issue is that when it tries to turn over, the Jeep starts a little slow, and the remote starter stops cranking before the engine actually fires up. It seems like the Jeep in general is just starting a little slow (slower than my old one always did anyways). I know these jeep use a lower torque starter stock, so they crank a little longer but do start, which is true, when cranking by hand/key it does always start, just takes a couple secs. However, is this a sign maybe my starter is just dying? Maybe time for a new, stronger starter? If it's getting worn out, I'd rather just replace it ahead of time before it just quits, especially since it's causing issues with the remote starter.

I don't know why anyone needed a remote start, the things got heated seats as it is!!! Ugh, more electrical gremlins to deal with. I really, really would prefer to just tear the unit right out (although that would also kill my remote door locks since they're integrated into one unit).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
bigb229
1998 ZJ 

I have viper remote start and keyless entry on mine with zero problems. What unit do you have for starters?
bigb229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

Got this fixed thankfully. Turns out, the PO had the negative battery terminal clamp replaced with one of those cheap clamp-down-style ones from a parts store, and whoever installed it did a super half assed job. Where they stripped the coating off the cables, they cut WAY to deep into them and cut off an easy 1/3 of the actual wire, greatly diminishing the connection. Also, somehow after they poorly clamped it into the new terminal, they further broke a few more pieces of smaller wire within the big wire, so that was causing a sort of short if the cable ever moved slightly, passing a spark between the broken piece. Long story short, I took it alllllll apart: took the clamp apart, sanded it down to bright, bare metal again (was rusting & corroding inside where the cable was clamped), cut the old ends off the wire, and cleanly stripped the coating back further, and twisted the wire to form a nice tight tip, and then twisted the two cable together to form one solid cable (body ground and electrical ground) for a better connection. Put it back into the terminal and clamped it all together very firmly, then wrapped the whole piece tightly with electrical tape, to keep it secure and dry. Cleaned the inside of terminal and battery post, put it back on. After all that, the Jeep starts better than ever, and the alarm/remote behaves properly now. Also after replacing remote batteries, the whole unit works excellent now, with no more bugs and improved range (for now...). Very happy now, on to the next problem

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.