Remote Start Install Ideas & Pinouts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Remote Start Install Ideas & Pinouts

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Primordial
1995 ZJ 

Remote Start Install Ideas & Pinouts

I'm installing a Python keyless entry/remote start system into the ZJ and wanted to verify a couple pinouts and get some ideas for the auxiliary circuits. I have a spreadsheet I made of all the circuits in the system and for many of them I have listed the corresponding wires/connectors where I'll be tapping into the vehicle circuits that I can send anyone who's interested or thinks it would help them help me (I don't see how to attach anything but a picture).

The first question I have involves the neutral safety switch. The instructions say if you have an automatic transmission then just ground the neutral safety input circuit for the system. Why not just tie in to the actual neutral safety switch circuit, or does it really matter?

Also, it is highly stressed that I install and wire up the hood pin switch. Is this completely necessary or could I get away with just grounding that circuit as well?

Another one I'm not sure on is the light flash relay. The main harness has a circuit labeled "Light flash isolation wire - pin 87a of onboard relay", and another called "Light flash relay pin 30". For this do I need to isolate the light flash circuit (it says it's necessary with multiplex wiring systems) which would include cutting the wire and hooking the switch side to the circuit with pin 87a above and the output to the pin 30 circuit? If I don't need to isolate the circuit, it looks like the wire for pin 30 above would be used with a positive polarity...does that sound right?

Then there's the "(-) 500mA ground when armed output"...what the heck would I use this for, or is it not applicable to the ZJ?

Probably the biggest gray area for me is the flex relay. The remote start harness has a circuit labeled "(+) Fused (30A) ignition 2/Flex relay input 87"...this should be hooked to a 12vdc power supply to feed the circuit. There's also one called "ignition 2/flex relay output 30"...this seems like the logical output for the circuit. Then there's the "flex relay input 87a key side (if required) of flex relay"...it says that it's common to need this for Toyotas & Nissans to isolate the ignition switch and shows the 87a wire hooked to the ignition switch and the relay output 30 hooked to the "vehicle side"...is this necessary on the ZJ or would I just be letting the factory smoke out of the wires? There's also a (-) 200mA Flex relay control output circuit in the auxiliary/shutdown harness just to throw another wrench into the mix...do I need to do anything with that?

Other circuits that I don't think are needed are (and please tell me if I'm wrong):

(-) 200mA Factory alarm disarm output (I'm pretty sure I don't have the factory security system)
(-) 200mA Trunk release output (unless I wanted to install a solenoid I suppose)
(-) 200mA Status output
(-) 200mA Ignition 1 output
(+) Door input
(-) 200mA Starter output
(+/-) Factory horn input
(-) Diesel wait to start
(-) Activation input
(-) 200mA Accessory output
(-) 200mA Factory alarm arm output

It says that for the (-)200mA Dome light output circuit to have that as the negative control signal for a relay, having the actual circuit for the lights go through the contacts. Would I just tap into the dome light circuit on the vehicle with the output from this relay?

Here are the circuits that I want ideas/conformation for

(-) 200mA 2nd status/rear defogger output - I was planning on hooking up this wire to the rear window defogger circuit using a relay (has to be programmed into the unit to use it for that).
(-) 200mA Aux 1 Output, (-) 200mA Aux 2 Output, (-) 200mA Aux 3 Output, (-) 200mA Aux 4 Output - I'd like to use some or all of these to control things like windows up/down, off road lights on/off, electric fan on/off, etc. What would be good ideas for these? They can be set up as momentary, latched, latched but reset with ignition, or 30 seconds time. Obviously relays would need to be used.

Is it possible to use any of the other output that aren't being used (i.e. factory alarm disarm/arm outputs, for anything else? Do they have to be used for that?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. This system has a lot more options than the last one I did...

Thanks
Nick

Primordial is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Primordial
1995 ZJ 

Well, let me restate part of the question. If there was anything electronic on the ZJ that you wish you could control with a remote what would it be? Windows up/down? Off road lights on/off? Winch in/out?

I have at least 4 auxiliary circuits I can wire up and I'm just looking for ideas...
Unread 03-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Hvacdude
1994 ZJ 

YOU MIGHT FIND THESE LINKS USEFUL. http://www.commandocaralarms.com/wir...ring_chart.asp
http://www.the12volt.com/
Hvacdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Primordial
1995 ZJ 

I've used the12volt.com before...both it and the other site are pretty close but do have at least one error. They have ACC and ignition 2 backwards for starters. That doesn't really matter to me since I have the FSM though. The pinout charts don't really have much in the way of ideas for the auxiliary circuits though. Nor do they address the flex relay, 500mA ground when armed circuit, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.