Remote Start for 97 Grand Cherokee With Door Remotes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Remote Start for 97 Grand Cherokee With Door Remotes

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
97GRCherokee
1997 ZJ 

Remote Start for 97 Grand Cherokee With Door Remotes

Hi,

I am looking into getting a Remote Start for my 97 Grand cherokee with the 4.0 inline 6

My Jeep has power Locks, but It does not have keyless entry I dont have a FOB for the locks.

Is there a remote start that I can have installed that locks and unlocks my doors as well??

Thanks in advance

97GRCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/Produ...ess-entry.aspx

There ya go. Everything you'll need and they have wiring diagrams, "T" connectors, everything you'll need to do a full DIY installation. I've used them on 5 vehicles now. Do yourself a favor and ONLY get the 1300 series. More options (low battery auto start, low temp auto start, etc) and better range.

The remotes will let you unlock the doors, roll down a window, start the vehicle and (if you're creative) crank up the rear defroster. All from up to 300 feet away. I had them in Minnesota and it was SOOOO nice to not even have to go outside the house to fire the car/truck up.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

What about one that does have keyless entry? Any recommendations?
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
What about one that does have keyless entry? Any recommendations?
You and your toys lol
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

LOL, you know me too well! Will have a axle in my backyard soon. Girlfriend says she's gonna put me on the hoarders tv show if I don't stop.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
VandE
2004 XJ Cherokee 

Auto start makes the alarm go off & wont shut off ~how does one disconnect the alarm?

New to the forum ~ We have a CompuSTAR auto start for our 2004 Special Edition & this morning we went to autostart like every am & our alarm came on and would not turn off w/ the remote & also when we went out & tried to do it manually so we had to unhook the battery & take cabs. Does anyone have any ideas on how to unhook/disconnect our alarm system until we can bring it in this weekend to fix it? Any suggestions would be appreciated thx
VandE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

From what I know (and that's a little limited) you're looking at a tow truck.

I do believe if you try to make the alarm inoperative, you'll also make the vehicle just as inoperative because it goes inline to the ignition, fuel delivery, etc. Taking the alarm out of the loop without putting all the wiring back to factory is next to impossible.

So it's either taking the alarm completely back out and restoring the wiring to factory, or fixing the alarm.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #8

OEM remote start:
http://thehoffmangroup.com/stellar/d...?itemid=RS1050 - $99
it works off of 2 negative input triggers on one wire. hook it up with your locking output wires and there you have it. I have installed this on mine (with a aftermarket alarm), on a honda crv and a ford f350.
They sell them on ebay stating OEM specific, but its the same one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Fier...item27bf0d3dc3 - $75
that's the cheapest i could find.

it looks like bulldog has a better combo for the keyless+remote start, but they sell separate keyless systems too
http://www.autoloc.com/catalog/produ...ess-Entry-Unit - $55

Edit: I forgot to mention they have a flipkey keyfob, I thought it was cool but they dont make it for my alarm, only for a couple keyless systems
http://www.autoloc.com/catalog/FlipK...REMOTE-ONLY---
341012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandE View Post
New to the forum ~ We have a CompuSTAR auto start for our 2004 Special Edition & this morning we went to autostart like every am & our alarm came on and would not turn off w/ the remote & also when we went out & tried to do it manually so we had to unhook the battery & take cabs. Does anyone have any ideas on how to unhook/disconnect our alarm system until we can bring it in this weekend to fix it? Any suggestions would be appreciated thx
most likely the biggest change having the alarm will be that your starter output from your ignition has been interrupted; thats usually the biggest change, rather then outputs and inputs from various sources (acc, ign, brake, door trigger, headlights, horn/siren, locks, etc) that wont make a difference because the circuit is not completely interrupted.
like stated before, you have to change the wiring back to factory (it may be more so then disconnect power + ground and starter wire reconnect, just stating whats typical) and completely disconnect the wiring to the unit.

do you have the paperwork that came with it? model # or anything?
341012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
moldeck

disarming alarm
unlock and lock with the key a few times and the alarm will disarm (mine only works on the passenger side door) and you will be able to start your jeep. manually lock the doors and do not use the lock button on the inside for all doors or the fob, and the alarm will not set.
moldeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
VandE
2004 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the suggestions...

Before I read your msg's we ended up trying everything before we had it towed to the auto start place & they spent an hour trying to fix it & ended up saying that it was a car computer problem, towed it to Jeep & ended up costing $398. to rewire back to factory. It is fixed but sans the auto start. It (compuSTAR) was an older 2-way model that was discontinued so we figured it would b better to upgrade to a new model anyway. Thanks again for the input.
Lesson learned.
VandE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.