to remote or not to remote?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > to remote or not to remote??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-07-2002, 06:01 PM   #1
jberte

to remote or not to remote??

I'm taking delivery tomorrow on my second GC - a 97 Laredo Tsi 8 cyl. I've been advised by the dealer to NOT install a remote start on this vehicle. My last GC - also a 97 but a Limited edition -seemed to have electronic gremlins coming out of it's ears after the remote was installed. Didn't do it myself either, paid the vendor to do it for me. They put one on my husband's Explorer and it's never been a problem. Now the dealer says don't do it. He obviously has a garage....Any advice on this problem??

jberte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2002, 06:34 PM   #2
darktiger

I have a 96 Laredo with a remote starter, I have never had any problems with it. I didn't have the dealer put it in, I found a shop on the side that installs them, maybe a better option? I don't know, see if anyone has had any problems and maybe see if you have a small shop on the side and see what they say too. Hope this helps a little.
One who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing...
darktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2002, 12:30 AM   #3
BEATERCJ
1981 CJ5 

this is what i do for a living .. If you find a shop that has a good electronics guy they should have no problems doing a car starter for you .. This should only take two and a half hours. The two best units to use are compustar it has 1 mile range. Astro start it has 1400 ft range. i install about 400 car starters a year and these are the ones with no problems.

2002 grand, 1995 yj, 81cj5, 53m38,looking for a willys truck, 2003 rubicon edition on the way yee haa 03 rubi died a moose wanted a closer look... bought a 08jk two door. Ox front locker soon to be detriot rear...
BEATERCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2002, 09:52 PM   #4
eltj

That vehicle is a very easy car to do with a experienced installer. The best thing to do is find a shop that has experience with the 96 and up GC's. There are a lot of units out there that are good reliable units. As far as the two listed as being the best is a little off. Range doesn't come into play on how good a unit is or how long it will last. One thing to keep in mind is how much your going to spend on replacing remotes and how easy it will be to find a dealer that can take care of you with that product. DEI is a great unit with dealers everywhere and Code Alarm is the same way. The two units listed above are decent units but are the same unit as the Crimestopper, TRC, Auto Page and some other ganeric units with the LCD remotes. Just shop around and find what will work best for you and make sure the installer is familiar with your vehicle. If you don't like having two remotes you may try to find the same type of unit your husband has so you can use one remote for two cars.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2002, 11:50 PM   #5
BEATERCJ
1981 CJ5 

sorry astro start is not a generic unit, they are made in canada the remotes last for over 5 years just need to replace the batterys onec a year depending on how much you use it.You can drive over the remote of a astro unit and they hold together very well. mmmm DEI one out of three that we get up here work.. Thats not quality.. that a pain for everyone to deal with. i install this stuff in oilfield trucks and they never have problems.. But if ya want to buy DEI by all means go ahead and buy it. (GOOD LUCK). Oh ya this is not a canadian trying to sell his countrys crap i was born and grew up in larado texas

2002 grand, 1995 yj, 81cj5, 53m38,looking for a willys truck, 2003 rubicon edition on the way yee haa 03 rubi died a moose wanted a closer look... bought a 08jk two door. Ox front locker soon to be detriot rear...
Unread 11-10-2002, 10:29 AM   #6
jberte

Thanks for the input all, I guess maybe I wasn't clear. I had an Astrostart installed on my previous GC Limited - also a 97 - it's the same brand and model as the one on my husband's truck and also on my last car - and no problems UNTIL the GC Limited. The electronics went whacko on me almost immediately after the remote was installed and two Jeep dealers have since told me that I shouldn't put a remote start on the Jeep because of interference with all the electronic gizmos already on the Jeep. My new one however is not a Limited - it's a Laredo and is not equipped with quite as many bells and whistles. The electronic shop where I purchased the starter also installed it and apparently had quite a bit of trouble circumventing the Jeep remote door locks (the Limited had 2 numbered remotes which recalled separate seat, mirror and radio settings - the Laredo does not) At one point I was driving and the seat started moving on it's own - that was freaky! I guess I'm just a little spooked about putting it back on this new one after the problems with the last one which may or may not have been related to the remote in the first place - didn't know if other Jeep owners out there have had similar problems. Even in Iowa winters and even without a remote start, I still won't have anything but a Jeep!!
jberte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2002, 09:15 AM   #7
Tracker Smacker

As a dealer that has sold & installed both DEI and Astroflex I can say that the customer / dealer support that DEI offers is by far better than astroflex. We install over 500 starts from Nov to Feb and we only use the DEI product now.

But Astroflex kicks DEI butt in Range.

Having said the above - The best remote starts can be big time trouble when installed incorrectly. We fix many starts that other shops have installed, dont be lured into a shop advertising $99 remote car starters !
Tracker Smacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2002, 05:46 PM   #8
eltj

Ya if you have problems with 1 out of 3 DEI remote start units you probably shouldn't be installing in the first place.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2002, 09:53 PM   #9
BEATERCJ
1981 CJ5 

ya like i said 1 out of three work.. you can test them on the bench if ya know anything about them.. we took 20 astros and took 20 dei and 19 of the 20 astros worked.... so who knows mabey we got a bad shipment. these were never installed and they were sent back. the next ones we got worked but they need to check the units before they hit the store. compustar has over a mile of range. but does not like -35 celceus.... ya know if astro worked for ya before get one.. just find a shop that does starters as a big part of their work.... Never go to a dealership for one...if dei worked for ya get one again just have a good shop install it for ya..

Unread 11-20-2002, 07:29 AM   #10
kevinrstruck

What a great forum. I just picked up my 2003 GC Limited last night - So far I love it. I came from a 99 FORD Expedition EB, and this is like driving a caddy compared to that.

I have a RS in my Expedition and was planning on taking it out and putting it in to the GC but read in the Owners Manual NOT to use a RS in the vehicle.

I had CarToys here in Denver, CO install it in my Ford, and they also said they had to do some endruns around the security and electronics on the vehicle, but they did a great job and I have never had any problems besides the low range of the remote.

The reason the dealer told me not to install the RS is because of the Security feature of the Key. Not sure what to believe but I will give it a shot.

Thanks for all the great information and the great forum.

-Kevin
kevinrstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 07:43 AM   #11
Tracker Smacker

If you have a gray key there is a security system / chip that needs to be bypassed during remote starting. DEI has a part (555u is the part number) that you put a key from your vehicle into - The 555u gets installed inside the dash and reads / transmits the key code to the reciever in the Jeep ignition cylinder.

The factory says not to do it just to cover their ***... and protect themselves from hack shops.
Tracker Smacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 08:10 AM   #12
kevinrstruck

I have a grey key and a Black key that both have the Sentry Security features in them. They also control the seat position. (Depending on which key you use, the seat is positioned to the memory function).

Thanks for the tips on how to by-pass. I figured there was a way and Jeep was covering their asses.
Unread 11-20-2002, 11:45 PM   #13
BEATERCJ
1981 CJ5 

and the door locks are easy astro has a unit for the ease of hook up also

Unread 11-21-2002, 07:26 AM   #14
kevinrstruck

Excellent. My GC is scheduled for Monday. Thanks for everyone's help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.