Remanufactured or junkyard durango swap? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Remanufactured or junkyard durango swap?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #16
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

I think I'm going to keep the durango box in my jeep, and rebuild the Stock zj box i have out of my jeep. Is this a good idea?

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenscrew View Post
I think I'm going to keep the durango box in my jeep, and rebuild the Stock zj box i have out of my jeep. Is this a good idea?
It depends on the condition of your ZJ box? If your not totally familiar with the tear down carefully review my tear-down and rebuild threads.

Tear down:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...-gear-1287129/

Rebuild:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...-gear-1287958/

Things to look for on the box you wish to rebuild:

Inspect the sector shaft teeth for wear grooves from improper meshing.

Inspect the rack piston nut teeth for the same wear grooves on the teeth.

Inspect the sector shaft for needle bearing wear.

Inspect the sector shaft for seal grooving, (can be carefully sanded down without touching the needle bearing surface).

Inspect the sector shaft bushing on the side cover.

Inspect the sector shaft needle bearing for wear and excessive play, (replace it if there's anything over .005 play), This bearing can be a pain to locate but not impossible!!!

Inspect the worm shaft for excessive wear, (easiest way is to inspect the ball bearings, if all are silver then there's significant wear).

Inspect the rack piston nut also for thread wear from the ball bearings.

Inspect the worm shaft Thrust bearing for pitting, grooving and smoothness.

The rest is usually ok but if you have any doubts look at the pix of the assembly thread and compare them with those parts as they are in excellent condition.

If they all look good then it would be of benefit to rebuild your steering gear, and a fun project if you take your time with it!!!!!!
Smokey1r is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.