Remanufactured ecm STALL!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Remanufactured ecm STALL!!!

Awesome Open box items at OPENBOXOFFROAD.COMIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.com

Unread 03-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #1
carrasaurus
1996 ZJ 

Remanufactured ecm STALL!!!

Considering buying this to rid myself of the infamous stalling - wiggling the connecter - zip tie thing. My jeep stalls all day long. Does anyone have any input on this seller or perhaps a more reliable place to purchase a new ecm?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=110876937421

carrasaurus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

No experience with them. I have, however, read posts by experienced Jeepers who stated that they personally avoid the Florida re-builders. Did you check the company's "Negative" feedback? The overall "negative" percentage is low, but seem based on questionable customer service. Heck, even if you go with a company with a good reputation, you can have issues with the computers that make a cooperative customer services department imminently necessary. Wherever you go, I hope you get a good unit. Good luck.
MrRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
Cbob4
1995 ZJ 

Just for anyone's info...

I too needed a re-manned PCM, and had also read "warnings" (as Mr R stated) about the outfit in Miami. I bought my PCM from Cardone at around $50 less, installed late December, the ZJ has run flawlessly since. About 2K miles under the belt. How long will it hold up? I really don't know. But she never stalls, RPMs are perfect at idle, she runs the same way, everyday, day in, day out. Personally, I think if I had just gone with the re-manned PCM from the get go, I probably wouldn't have had to replace the IAC, CKPS, CPS, coil, etc. But at least I have all new parts in there now!!
Cbob4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
carrasaurus
1996 ZJ 

Do you have contact info for Cardone?
Unread 03-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
Cbob4
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrasaurus View Post
Do you have contact info for Cardone?
Where I got mine, 5.2L...http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk.../A1796974.html
Cbob4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Yes avoid the "rebuilders" from Miami, what a joke those guys are. I had the unfortunate luck to have to go the dealer for the ECM for my YJ. Go cardone if they can get it or at least r&r yours.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Yep, avoid ACR out of Miami like the plague! I'm on my 2nd one, it may still not be right, and this was before I knew better. Actually it was the dealer who installed my 1st ACR PCM and they said, "what a deal!". So much for the dealer!

ACR also have one of the most bizarre/rip-off lifetime warranties I've ever seen. If you need a 2nd one they'll send it to you after they receive their 1st one back. But once they ship it you only have 14 days to pay them $50 in case you may need another under warranty. What kind of BS lifetime warranty is that??

Agree on going with a A1 Cardone.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbob4 View Post
Looks like a real good deal and below are some coupon codes to try if the OP orders one for his 96 4.0 online.

http://www.priceblink.com/coupons-co...&revealed=true

Appears the $12 off $150 may be the best discount if the code 12EAPWAFF8 works correctly.

Unread 03-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #9
carrasaurus
1996 ZJ 

Thanks guys! Got the one for my 4.0 I6 in my cart. Gonna get home and place order on my desktop since my phone is moving slow. $236 for the part - a bit steep.

Also what's the consensus?... Most likely to resolve the stalling issue? Part of me is worried the fault could be the pins in the wire harness and not the ecm.
Unread 03-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #10
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Yeah I made the mistake of using those guys once. Only once. When the ecm they sent me failed, they never returned my numerous calls and emails. The only time they ever returned a message was when I threatened to report them to the BBB, which they laughed about. I ended up paying $700 for a Mopar reman ecm. A lot of money, but no headache and hey, the Jeep worked better than it had in years.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #11
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrasaurus View Post
Thanks guys! Got the one for my 4.0 I6 in my cart. Gonna get home and place order on my desktop since my phone is moving slow. $236 for the part - a bit steep.

Also what's the consensus?... Most likely to resolve the stalling issue? Part of me is worried the fault could be the pins in the wire harness and not the ecm.
Actually that price isn't bad and if you'd order it through O'Reilly's it would be $100 more.

If you haven't read through the real good dirty dozen thread in my signature you should! Actually the PCM has the pins while the connectors have the receptacles. Read through "The Brain" section and it talks about cleaning the contacts while also here's a photo of re-tentioning the receptacles with a dental pick.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...sockettool.jpg

Also read through the "Ground" section and if you don't have good/clean engine grounds, especially the PCM ground on the coil stud, you'll be sorry. This bad PCM ground on my 96 4.0 took out 2 PCM's and a couple Mopar cranks sensors. Harsh lesson learned and how I ended up on this forum to begin with a few years ago.

Unread 03-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #12
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
Yeah I made the mistake of using those guys once. Only once. When the ecm they sent me failed, they never returned my numerous calls and emails. The only time they ever returned a message was when I threatened to report them to the BBB, which they laughed about. I ended up paying $700 for a Mopar reman ecm. A lot of money, but no headache and hey, the Jeep worked better than it had in years.
Yep, I've spoken with the ACR reps a couple times and a trip to deal with! They say they have a bunch of cars/Jeep out back they test their PCM's on and what a bunch of BS! Actually I bet they ship (literally) them 90 miles to the S. from Miami where the circuit boards are fooled with in the same warehouse they're rolling those big fat Havana cigars in!

When my ZJ was broke down at the dealer I probably should have gone with their Mopar reman PCM but at the time they said the cost would be $800-$1,000 which was too rich for my blood. I had it there before and they said there wasn't any problem with it. Guess when it stalls under their great big bay door they couldn't shut and won't start that may be a sign there's something wrong with it?? Lol.

To top it off the lazy mechanic who installed the ACR PCM didn't even clean the PCM ground on the engine which caused it to fail. Bad experience all round at the dealer and reason I cleaned the grounds while installing the 2nd PCM.

Unread 03-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #13
carrasaurus
1996 ZJ 

I will definitely look in the thread for ground locations and plan on cleaning them. Are there many locations to look for?
Unread 03-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #14
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

there are some on the stud for the dipstick (i think) and some on the stud above the coil bracket. be sure the studs are tight in the block. it's best to take them out and clean them if you can't check them electrically.

there are some links to pics in the "grounds" section.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 07:26 PM   #15
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Ahh.. the dirty dozen author himself and agree on removing the coil studs.

It should be noted this work is easier to do from underneath on the coil grounds. And not a bad idea to use some rust cutter on the coil studs/nuts ahead of time especially if you're in the salt/rust belt.

Believe it's a 1/2" nut head and you also have to put a 1/2" open end wrench behind the coil bracket on the backing plate nut. And not a bad idea to have a pair of vise grips on the eyelets so they don't twist the wires. Did I just mention using 3 hands? Lol.

Not a good design if you have to remove those small nuts/bolts on the coil bracket from above. Pretty hard to get to especially the ones behind the plate. The stud itself should have a non-thread part in the middle you can use vice grips on. Or some will double nut the stud while trying to loosen by having a wrench on the inside nut.

After cleaning using a small wire brush/fine emery cloth I hit everything with electric contact cleaner. A thin coating of dielectric grease is also a good idea. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.