Relocating windshield washer reservoir (WJ) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Relocating windshield washer reservoir (WJ)

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-14-2007, 08:03 AM   #1
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Relocating windshield washer reservoir (WJ)

I saw a couple of pics in the past here (when the regular forum search was working), but didn't catch many of the details.

I know the replacement unit would come from a ZJ - but will any year of ZJ washer reservoir work?

What all needs to be snagged from the donor vehicle?

What needs to be relocated in the WJ engine compartment to make this work? I'd like to keep my stock airbox if at all possible.

TIA

2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 Taupe Frost - Clayton LA Front/Rear | IRO 3" Springs + 3/4" KOR | Bilstein Shocks | JKS Discos/Trackbar/Draglink & Tierod | Dual KOR Stabs | Spidertrax Spacers | 265/70R17 Duratrac's on JK 17's | Black Magic Brakes w/Centric Rotors | Akebono Calipers | Griffin Rad | K&N Drop in | Magnaflow Cat & Muffler shorty setup | Diehard Platinum (Odyssey) | RB1-NAV-Sirius-Chg-iPod | OEM Tow Hooks F/R
Cebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

My method does require switching to an aftermarket air intake kit to make room. I think Ken did his differently and I know someone else put it up by the brake lines.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/zj-washer-fluid-reservoir-place-wjs-321148/

Check out post #3 in my link.
Unread 09-14-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Ah, thanks for the post. I must not have been using the right terms in the search.

In a nutshell, all I need is the ZJ reservoir since the WJ pumps and level sensor will work in it.

Should be easy to scare one up!!
2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 Taupe Frost - Clayton LA Front/Rear | IRO 3" Springs + 3/4" KOR | Bilstein Shocks | JKS Discos/Trackbar/Draglink & Tierod | Dual KOR Stabs | Spidertrax Spacers | 265/70R17 Duratrac's on JK 17's | Black Magic Brakes w/Centric Rotors | Akebono Calipers | Griffin Rad | K&N Drop in | Magnaflow Cat & Muffler shorty setup | Diehard Platinum (Odyssey) | RB1-NAV-Sirius-Chg-iPod | OEM Tow Hooks F/R
Unread 09-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Well you can use the ZJ sensor/pumps or the WJ sensor/pumps...it is just finding a reservoir that'll work that matters.
Unread 09-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
nierace
2003 WJ 

How it should be done :

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/relocating-wiper-fluid-resevior-wj-319077/
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
Cebby
2000 WJ 

What's that big honkin' thing next to my brake booster?? That was missing from some of the other pics I've seen. Is my Jeep "special"?

Unread 09-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

It is the emissions evaporator canister I believe.
Unread 09-14-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
JayIV
2004 WJ 

That is definately NOT on my ride. I have a 4.7 HO though.
Unread 09-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Think I can move it? Does it need to be at that angle?

I went to the pick-n-pull and got a ZJ reservoir complete with pumps and level sensor for $8.56. FYI - if you want it to look factory under the hood and match the other reservoirs you have, look at the later model ZJ's for one with a yellow cap. (Although with mine it wouldn't matter - everything is covered with a layer of filth)
Unread 09-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #10
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
It is the emissions evaporator canister I believe.
I looked it up and that is correct. Does anyone know the ins and outs of these things? I wonder why some folks don't have these and some of us do. Was it a CA spec thing (and I was "lucky" enough to get a CA spec WJ?)

I'd like to stand the cannister up on end and mount it over by my coolant reservoir, above my shock stud. That space is going to waste since my 12v OBA compressor is too big for over there anyway.
Unread 09-15-2007, 12:28 AM   #11
horatio102
Web Wheeler

I never considered it before, but is there room to use a Dakota radiator shroud with the coolant bottle built in? I'll have to take a look tomorrow
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 06:55 AM   #12
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio102
I never considered it before, but is there room to use a Dakota radiator shroud with the coolant bottle built in? I'll have to take a look tomorrow
What year Dakota? I need another excuse to go to the pick-n-pull!!
Unread 09-15-2007, 07:00 AM   #13
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Considering the EVAP cannistor is collecting vapors from the gas tank vapors and then the release of these vapors into the intake, I'd think that it could be relocated. I know the one on my 4Runner is on the opposite side of the engine from the intake (and was standing up vertically) Unfortunately, that vehicle is in pieces so I can't go have a quick look...
Unread 09-15-2007, 07:41 PM   #14
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayIV
That is definately NOT on my ride. I have a 4.7 HO though.
Yours is shaped differently and is located behind the left rear wheel behind the fascia. This is a later model WJ change, not a 4.7 vs 4.0 thing.

Unread 09-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #15
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Here's mine:

And the ZJ one - I'm thinking the Cali one for ZJ's will work over next to the coolant reservoir.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.