Releasing R12a From A/C System - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Releasing R12a From A/C System

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-11-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
eboyer7
1995 ZJ 

Releasing R12a From A/C System

Hi. I recharged my A/C system a few weeks ago, but I overcharged it slightly (I charged it up to 45 psi, which is the border line between acceptable and too high, according to Duracool). So I have three questions: Will this cause any problems if I keep it at this high of a pressure? And, if I do have to lower the pressure can I just release some of the R12a that I used for the recharge into a paper towel or something and throw that out? The system was completely empty before the recharge, so there's only R12a in there (no R12 or R134a). And, the can of R12a says it's a natural coolant that isn't ozone-depleting, so I'm guessing it'd be alright to release it myself? Also, what kind of problems would occur if the system had been overcharged any further, like 60 or 70 psi?

eboyer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Overcharging is hard on the compressor and can cause leaks in the system more easily. Basically is just harder on the system and can lead to a less efficent cooling status. At 45 pounds your right in the middle. This should not cause an issue but you could release some pressure. I think my jeep was right around 25-30 pounds at max ac.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

it is a mix of propane and iso butane. People release this into the air everytime they light a gas grill.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.