In regards to the Dynomax system from Quadratec - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > In regards to the Dynomax system from Quadratec

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Sclay115
1996 ZJ 

In regards to the Dynomax system from Quadratec

Long story short, my factory system is tore up/hacked together/just in bad shape. And instead of getting another factory system, I saw the inexpensive cat back system on the QT website, and with the rebate, it just is too cheap not to consider:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/77608_702.htm

Anybody have one? I need to ask where exactly it mates up with the factory system, is it right behind the cat where the factory system has the slip joint? I only ask, because my current setup from the previous owner, has a cut right in front of the factory muffler, but in between the cat and muffler, and I just want to make sure that if I end up getting the system, it will eliminate this problem area. If anybody has a picture of it on their ZJ, from underneath, it would show me what I needed.

Oh, and how does it sound? If you have one that is. I don't need anything ridiculously loud, but like I said, the price, well, it makes it tempting since I know I have multiple leaks from the previous owner's stupidity.

Steve

Sclay115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

I'm with you on this one. I've been eyeballing it in my cart at the Advance Auto website, with their discount code it was going to be $101 shipped, plus the rebate.

I just don't know what it sounds like, granted it has to sound better than my clogged cat and burned out glass pack... If I get it, I'm going to be pairing it with a Magnaflow cat.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
davigzj
Have ZJ will Travel

1997 ZJ 

Both prices are better than what mine was lookin for good ol oem sounding 1 for$ 69.00 ended up costin$ 309.** igor the cat plus the back..oh the checkeng light went outwith the new cat it was BAD. Oh well and its quite. Shhhhhh..
davigzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
funfactor89
1993 ZJ 

i have it. had it for almost 3 years now i got it for my jeep for a christmas present. I ended up paying like 75 bucks shipped for it. It sounds a little deeper than the factory exhaust i had on but you have to remember i have the
v8. In my opinion it would be a little quiet on a 4 litre. I'm happy with it for the cost if i wanted it a little louder i might upgrade the muffler sometime down the road but it hasn't rusted one bit yet so i'm happy. The tailpipe looks a little stupid but what the heck for the price
funfactor89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Sclay115
1996 ZJ 

Have any photos of it installed? Or can you tell me if it picks up the factory system right after the cat?

Steve
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have one and I just recently had a crack at the inlet pipe for the muffler. I don't understand why the ZJ has no hanger by the muffler. I now have a crack in the hanger in front of the cat too so I think I will be looking into getting headers to remedy the problem once and for all.
I have had it for about 2 years now and it is fine, not great, but good enough bang for yoru buck.
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

The same exhaust is $30 cheaper from Jegs, I bought it last fall with the same rebate and it was even cheaper then, ended up being about $45 shipped. The muffler is barely louder than stock, so I ended up not using it but I mostly just wanted the kit for the mandrel bent tail pipe (which fits nice, by the way).
Unread 06-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
sharphintofemo
1998 ZJ 

Had one of these on my 95 XJ, it wasn't too bad, esp for the price. I paired if with a Magnaflow cat and it made it louder. But it does mount just past the cat. If I were you I'd replace the cat along with it, I wouldn't do the cat-back then the wait to do the cat...its a PITA. While you're at it you might as well replace the headers too.

98 ZJ 5.2
sharphintofemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

Very surprised it has not been asked yet, WHAT MOTOR??

For the 4.slo it is the same as factory size, and therefor it could be better. 2.5" is optimal, dynomax uses 2.25".

If you have a v8, you would be missing out on alot. v8s should have a 3" exhaust.
The cheapest I found is the kit from jegs
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...30494/10002/-1

can not beat the price and sounds good too
Unread 06-27-2011, 05:16 AM   #10
Sclay115
1996 ZJ 

Z71, the listing I see fits either of the offered powerplants, and in this particular case, I'm not looking at it from a performance perspective, more of a cheap replacement for my tore up factory system, but it is for a 4.0.

Anybody else have any install photos?

Steve
Unread 06-27-2011, 06:35 AM   #11
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

On a 4.slo the 2.25" pipe will be ok. And as for a money stand point the dynomax deal is really good, even when they do there rebates, Ive seen that dynomax exhaust as cheap as 75 bones after the rebate.

If you install it your self just make sure you do the clamps right, cuz the zj has one hanger by the cat and the next one buy the tail pipe. The muffler area sometime sags because the exhaust clamps can not hold it tight enough. Thats why I had mine welded.

One major brownie point for dynomax, I LOVE THE ULTRA FLO SOUND ON V8S I am swapping out my jegs muffler for a ultra flo.
Unread 06-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #12
Stoked99
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I know I don't have a ZJ, but I've gone through 2 of these exhaust systems in the past 3 years. Both of them rusted around the inlet pipe of the muffler - one after 2 years, the other just about 2 weeks ago after having it for a year. Both were replaced under the lifetime warranty, but it's still a pain in the butt replacing these things all the time.

Just my

Vice President - Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club
'98 2.5L - RC 2.5 - 33's - Beach Cruiser

"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines" - Enzo Ferrari
Stoked99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 06:55 AM   #13
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

^^^^^I thought I have heard that about there piping, great thing to factor in to the equation.
Unread 07-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #14
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well as I said above, I had a crack at the muffler inlet pipeing. Now I have one at the outlet end. Mine is going in the bin for a straight pipe I think. I've been toying with the idea of straightpiping for a while and will now see how it goes. Wish my ears luck!
Unread 07-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #15
ZJJAMES
1996 ZJ 

My stock exhaust had rusted out the muffler and pipes so I replaced it all with this kit and was very happy with the result. It’s a little bit louder than stock and flows much better. The kit fits perfect with no modifications needed to a stock Grand. When I swapped in my 8.8 the pinion is off center a little so it rubbed the muffler I ended up swapping just the muffler out with a magnaflow diamond plate and love the result even more. I recommend buy this kit and if you want more sound just swap out the muffler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.