Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Refinishing ZJ wheels.

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  nashmd454 
#1 ·
Hi,
planing to freshen up my girlfriend's ZJ wheels. At first i was going to strip the clear cote and start everything from the scratch. But as it's going to be a temporary solution and has to last not more than 2 winters then maybe i just have to sand down the loose lacquer and spray on couple of coats of wheel paint and then couple of coats of clear lacquer. I will not remove the tires from the wheels, only mask them. Should i use any primers under the paint (couse new paint is going to be solid color)? And should i still use chemical stripper to take everything completely down? Any suggestons?
Thanks guys.

#2 ·
The paint won't last. Unless you have them powdercoated. It'll cheap and look bad.

Hunter

#3 ·
Not really, if you know how to spraypaint they will turn out pretty good. Ive done stuff like this before and had very good results. When your done painting them, bake each wheel in the oven for a little while and that will help the paint stick better.

If you only need this to last you less then two years, dont waste your money on powerdercoating.....just paint em.

#4 ·
Hey,

try it and let us know how the results come out for you.

Hunter

#5 ·
I am interested too...I tried using my dremmel to polish up my stock rims and instead seemed to have messed them up. Thank GOD I only did a small spot and quit. I can always blame it on mud in the mall parking lot..ha aha ha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.