Received death wobble lol Fixing... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Received death wobble lol Fixing...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
lawsonej
At the bottom working up

1998 ZJ 

Received death wobble lol Fixing...

Im not asking for help.....yet...This thread is basically an update for people who use the search button in the future to fix thier death wobble problems. Ive been missing a sway bar link for about two years now and never have had the death wobble. I put in a steering stabilizer i had here at the house for a while and i come to find out that the dw appeared over night. M track bar moves a little and needs to be replaced, but ill start with this missing sway bar link! seems like the best thing to do.

lawsonej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

I would fix the track bar right away as well, if there play in there it's gonna be factor in your death wobble without question.

My build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1557637/
98ZJLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
docjones
1998 ZJ 

My death wobble was helped greatly by replacing the track bar, a bit more benefit came from replacing the steering stabilizer and it completely went away with new front shocks. My front shocks didn't look bad and neither were leaking but after I compressed the driver's side shock to remove it the damn thing never extended again so it was completely shot! I guess I lucked out by fixing my DW with simple -to - replace parts. My Jeeps' steering feels more stable now than it ever has. Good luck
docjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Steering stabilizer won't solve death wobble, nor can it cause it.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

^^^^ This. I went rounds and rounds throwing all kinds of stuff at mine trying to figure out my death wobble. After having a local 4 wheel shop look at it i was told to replace my front lower shock bushings, steering stabilizer, and re torque everything, I did all that and still had death wobble. After taking it back to them, they said they could fix it with an aluminum track bar bushing for $160 they installed said bushing, and a month and a half later, my track bar broke while I was driving due to this bushing they fabricated to "fix" my DW. So I spent another $40 ordering new parts from IRO and made sure the track bar was dialed in and the front axle was dead nuts centered and I havnt had an issue since.

Moral of the story... if you know you have a track bar issue fix it because it will definitely be a contributing factor to your problem.

Unread 10-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
lawsonej
At the bottom working up

1998 ZJ 

Okay folks, Sorry i didnt get back to the solution. Im putting the track bar on today, but I did put on (some of the parts ive had for a while) a new drag link bar, sway bar links, and stabilizer bar. Then I had it aligned and the death wobble went away. I did pay for free alignment for a year about 6 months ago so i have a few months to bring it back. It did solve the DW for now, there is basically not even a slight wave of the suspension while hitting bumps at any speed but i will be putting in that track bar since the originally one is shot and has play. To be honest, i have no clue how it still doesnt have the wobble now...Thanks for the tips

edit: in my original post, i just thought it was weird that i had never got the full death wobble , only slight shaking in my suspension before adding that steering stabilizer....agreed, it makes no sense. Maybe something else gave. I Probably just knocked it out of alignment while putting on the part.
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

theres always a common ingredient in deathwobble....... multiple worn out parts in the front end................ usually trackbar.
the way jeep suspension is design DW will always be just around the corner; thats why they have steering stabilizers. their job is literally to mask DW. but if you have to many worn out parts in the front, eventually that worn out 'play' will send your jeep in DW mode and make you crap your pants.

Death wobble is the oscillating of your front axles moving back and forth at an alarming rate due to hitting a bump etc. basically the axle is moving independantly of the rest of the jeep, hence it shakes. a steering stabilizer will not fix this, because the Steering stabilizer cannot keep the axle inline with the jeep. something that keeps the axle aligned with the jeep is bad; thats leads to this -->

1: track bar almost all the time
2: control arm bushings
3: balljoints/hubs/Tierod ends or a combination of all these.
4: shocks, sway bars, alignments: don't caus issue.

typically a DW prone jeep has worn out everything, so it doesn't take much from any part to set it off. and sometimes...... sometimes...... your jeep just sucks and will go DW berserk because it wants too.

there you go; Death Wobble 101.

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
lawsonej
At the bottom working up

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post

typically a DW prone jeep has worn out everything, so it doesn't take much from any part to set it off. and sometimes...... sometimes...... your jeep just sucks and will go DW berserk because it wants too.
Sounds like speaking from experience lol
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The first time I put a lift on I was so excited that I forgot to tighten down the track bar. Boy that was a fun first test drive. I thought there was an earth quake.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

actually i've been farting around with jeeps, ZJs for about 7 years now, every one of them lifted, and i've never actually experienced DW. so either i'm really lucky, or i figured out how to avert it

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
Fookn4x4
1995 ZJ 

Can someone post a pic of the track bar? This is my first Jeep and I've been having problems with this as well. No lift here though.
Fookn4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-68.htm
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

Here you go
tjsteering-1-.jpeg

Unread 10-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

Ya beat me to it polka lol

Unread 10-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Only because I was too lazy to post the pic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.