Recall question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Recall question.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
thetammon
1995 ZJ 

Recall question.

So I found that there was a recall for the zj shift linkage on the tyranny. This recall was back in 2002. I know the PO did not take it in to get this fixed. So how would I take care of this since the recall was 11 years ago? I know it's usually free to have recalled parts replaced, but would it still be free now? I guess I'm a little confused. Thanks for the help!

Sent from something using JeepForum

image-2735473756.jpg  
thetammon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Call dealer, ask. Likely a recall for safety, so they should still perform the update.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Safety updates are good for as long as the vehicle is on the road.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
exador
1970 CJ5 

When asking for my build sheet I also asked for a list of recalls performed on my vehicle and I had everything the next day.

If you are worried about it then just don't leave it running when you are not in drivers seat and put E-Brake on.

You can get build sheet here. http://www.jeep.com/wccsapp/universa...ull&category=U
exador is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

I know there were 2 recalls for the shifter linkage. One was to prevent you from putting it in gear unless your foot was on the brake, and the other was just to tighten it per say, give it a more ratchety feel. Neither really need to be fixed if you don't feel like leaving it at the dealer.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

My 94 build sheet has this near the bottom...

Our records indicate that the following recall campaigns have not been
performed by an authorized dealer:

B02 FLOOR SHIFTER SECONDARY DETENT SYSTEM
733 BRAKE PEDAL SHIFT INTERLOCK

We suggest that you contact your local authorized Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep®
or Ram dealer to make arrangements for an inspection and, if necessary,
corrective action at no charge to you.

Please take a copy of this message with you at the time of service to
aid the process. Although not required, it is recommended to bring a
copy of the recall notification with you to your dealer's service
department when you bring your vehicle in for this service.

If you wish to obtain further information, please contact the Chrysler
Group Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
exador
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
I know there were 2 recalls for the shifter linkage. One was to prevent you from putting it in gear unless your foot was on the brake, and the other was just to tighten it per say, give it a more ratchety feel. Neither really need to be fixed if you don't feel like leaving it at the dealer.

On February 15, 2002, Chrysler Group announced the recall of 1.6 million Jeep Grand Cherokee sport-utility vehicles produced from model year 1993 through 1998. Prior to announcing the recall of these Jeeps, it was alleged in lawsuits, including a suit filed by Lieff Cabraser, that the Jeep Grand Cherokee was defectively designed because the vehicle could shift suddenly from park into reverse, even when the engine was not running.

The Alleged Jeep Reverse Defect
Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs that have the defect may appear to be in park. However, a hidden internal shaft lever within the transmission can actually land on a flat space between reverse and park, leaving the car in hydraulic neutral. From this spot, referred to as “false park mode,” slight vibrations or movements can allegedly cause the Jeep’s lever to slip into reverse gear and the Jeep to move.

For Jeeps produced from 1993 through 1998 that have not been repaired under the recall, the shift from park to reverse could occur when the Jeep’s motor is running or shut off. A door slamming, or even an air conditioner cycling, could cause the shifter to slip and move the vehicle into reverse.

According to press reports, the rate of “park to reverse” complaints for Jeep Grand Cherokees was more than five times greater than for any similar SUV made by a different company. Prior to the recall, more than 860 people complained to the government or to DaimlerChrysler about “inadvertent rollway in reverse” incidents involving Jeep Grand Cherokees, which allegedly caused at least 359 crashes, 184 injuries and five deaths.

http://www.usautoinjurylaw.com/cases...ee-false-park/

I would highly recommend at least checking especially if you have kids or anyone else that rides in or drives the vehicle.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

Part number they will use on the recall is CCXRB020. Install instructions. http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/do...204539_b02.pdf

I didn't want to take it out there and decided to do it myself.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #9
thetammon
1995 ZJ 

Awesome! Ill probably look into doing myself if I have the time! Thanks guys! Got a lot more info on it than I thought I would!

Sent from something using JeepForum
thetammon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

If you have a dealer nearby, just let them do it. It's free to you and they get paid from Chrysler.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

I just don't like anyone else messing with mine, and didn't want to listen to the sales pitch.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.