Rebuilding the cooling system... Head gasket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rebuilding the cooling system... Head gasket?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Rebuilding the cooling system... Head gasket?

Overheated my 4.0 ZJ yesterday. I'm ordering all the parts I need today. Should I do the head gasket just for the hell of it?

I should note that it was driven until it quit... Had no choice. I was down in the Meadowland and had to get inside the lot or chaos would've ensued. It still starts and runs fine when cold. Oil is clean as a baby's butt.

congerz83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Compression test would tell you what to do fast enough
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Compression test would tell you what to do fast enough
Oh yeah... At the radiator, right?
Unread 10-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Remove all spark plugs and test each cylinder with a proper gauge . Determine if any damage was done , check engine's health . Sounds like you got lucky , 4.0's are tough . Still , this is something I would recommend before any engine work . Circles the problem area if any .

You can also just take the cap off once re-filled and check for bubbles constantly coming coming from the coolant . In this case , just re-fill it with water and call it a flush of sorts for testing purposes . I think it would bubble through the coolant reservoir also when at full operating temp
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

all cylinders @ 127-128psi
Unread 10-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Got everything pulled apart today... Just waiting on parts. WHAT FUN IT WAS TO REMOVE THE FREEZE PLUG!

Here's a couple pics behind the thermostat and pump before I pulled the block-drain and rinsed it all out...
photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.