Rebuilding the cooling system... Head gasket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rebuilding the cooling system... Head gasket?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 10-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Rebuilding the cooling system... Head gasket?

Overheated my 4.0 ZJ yesterday. I'm ordering all the parts I need today. Should I do the head gasket just for the hell of it?

I should note that it was driven until it quit... Had no choice. I was down in the Meadowland and had to get inside the lot or chaos would've ensued. It still starts and runs fine when cold. Oil is clean as a baby's butt.

congerz83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
newfieZJ
Jeep Collector

1995 ZJ 

Compression test would tell you what to do fast enough
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Compression test would tell you what to do fast enough
Oh yeah... At the radiator, right?
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
newfieZJ
Jeep Collector

1995 ZJ 

Remove all spark plugs and test each cylinder with a proper gauge . Determine if any damage was done , check engine's health . Sounds like you got lucky , 4.0's are tough . Still , this is something I would recommend before any engine work . Circles the problem area if any .

You can also just take the cap off once re-filled and check for bubbles constantly coming coming from the coolant . In this case , just re-fill it with water and call it a flush of sorts for testing purposes . I think it would bubble through the coolant reservoir also when at full operating temp
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

all cylinders @ 127-128psi
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Got everything pulled apart today... Just waiting on parts. WHAT FUN IT WAS TO REMOVE THE FREEZE PLUG!

Here's a couple pics behind the thermostat and pump before I pulled the block-drain and rinsed it all out...
photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.