Rear wiper not working properly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear wiper not working properly

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-09-2004, 11:01 PM   #1
1st95gc

Rear wiper not working properly

I have a 95zj and the rear wiper does work but it might as well not be. It goes back and forth but does not make good contact with the window. Is there a easy fix for this? Thanks for any help.

1st95gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2004, 11:22 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Yes, it is an easy fix.
Get yourself a small can of 3 in 1 oil or similar. Pull the wiper arm out away from the window (like you would do if changing the blade). Put a couple drops of oil on the pin where the arm pivots. You can see the pin goes all the way from one side of the arm to the other. Get the oil between all the moving parts. Also get some oil on the spring underneath the arm near the pivot. Work the arm in and out (toward the glass and away from it. As you work it back and forth it will begin to flex more easily. Go ahead and put a few more drops of oil on the pivot pin (hinge) and spring. Keep working it until it moves easily. That's all it takes. Make sure the arm isn't bent, and the blade is in good shape. It uses a 12 inch blade which is hard to find, you will be tempted to get the 13 inch blade, but resist the urge, it is too long and will make contact with the washer nozzle when it goes to the stow position, twisting the blade.

HTH
Unread 10-10-2004, 08:11 AM   #3
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
you will be tempted to get the 13 inch blade, but resist the urge, it is too long and will make contact with the washer nozzle when it goes to the stow position, twisting the blade.
Warren, there may be a difference between your '96 and our '95 models. I've had a 13" blade on mine for years and it doesn't quite reach the top of the glass, and the nozzle is a bit more than an inch above that.

Edit: You say it contacts the nozzle in the stow position ? Gotta be a difference - our nozzle is at TDC above the glass, and the wiper stows at the lower right.
Unread 10-10-2004, 09:15 AM   #4
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

mine does make good contact either ...... i tried the oil thing and have even bent the arm to increase the pressure... but actually i think that it is a weak spring....someone used to make a spring that clipped on the outside of your wipers arms to hold them down ,but i have been able to find them yet
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2004, 09:28 AM   #5
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Good catch.
Sometimes I can be so dain bramaged!

What I said: "washer nozzle"
What I meant: "wiper standoff"

Here's a pic of what I am talking about. You can see how close a 12 inch blade comes to it. However, as you said, Stocker, it has worked for years on your 95 so that may not be an issue.

driabyor, you are right that the spring isn't as strong as it could be, however, too much spring pressure would accelerate wear on the standoff block. I personally like the standoff since it keeps the blade from sticking to the glass or paint. While the spring is kind of a weak sister, believe me, it will work. One trick you can try is to slide a thin blade into the pivot area on each side, thereby reducing the friction in the hinge. But do be careful, it doesn't take much. And finally, bending the arm will only reduce wiper performance. The arm needs to be parallel to the glass to work properly. When you see front wipers that chatter going across the glass, that is caused by bent wiper arms.

HTH
standoff.gif  
Unread 10-10-2004, 09:37 AM   #6
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

95 and older or 96 and newer

Just to let you know, you can run a 13" on a 95 and older because they do not have a lift glass. On 96 and newer models the glass lifts seperately from the tailgate. The nozzle on them is different so you cannot run a 13" on a 96 and newer.
I found tensioner arms at 4WD.com here's the link http://www.4wd.com/shop/productlist....egory=174&pg=3

Hope this helps answer some questions. I have yet to buy these arms, but I'm in Arizona where it rains one month a year. Hopefully I'll be moving soon!
Unread 10-10-2004, 10:30 AM   #7
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Good tip, Airmanwoody, but I want to take a second to point out that the flipper glass was a mid year change for 96. My 96 made in January of 96 does not enjoy the benefit of that wonder. I have often considered finding a 96 lifgate with the flipper window to put on mine, but am unsure of wiring harness compatibility....

Unread 10-10-2004, 10:35 AM   #8
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st95gc
I have a 95zj and the rear wiper does work but it might as well not be. It goes back and forth but does not make good contact with the window. Is there a easy fix for this? Thanks for any help.
My '95 had the same problem. to me it looked as if the glass was warped. the wiper made very good contact for the first 1/4 and last 1/4 of its sweep and lousy contact in the center 1/2 of its sweep. I got a hour-glass shaped dirty spot in the middle of its sweep. I tried several blades, oiling, bending the arm slightly, but nothing worked.
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2004, 11:39 AM   #9
Stocker

Warren, based on your pic, it's nothing like a '95. Is that where the arm attaches to the shaft? We have nearly 6" clearance even with a 13" blade. Wish I could post a pic...
Unread 10-10-2004, 11:53 AM   #10
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

OK, I think I've got it now. The big difference is the standoff.
What I have is a "block" that when the wiper goes to stow, it rides up on this ramp, or block. Since the stow position is actually below the window and on the painted body, this prevents scratching, sticking, and other bad things. However, it also interferes with blades longer than 12 inches.
What I am gathering is the 95s and older simply park the wiper over to the right, and never actually leave the area of the glass or lose contact with the glass. So 13 inch blades are not a problem.
Here's a pic that might put it in perspective...
wiper-004.gif  
Unread 10-10-2004, 12:13 PM   #11
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
What I am gathering is the 95s and older simply park the wiper over to the right, and never actually leave the area of the glass or lose contact with the glass.
Bingo! That's it exactly. Great pic, BTW.
Unread 10-10-2004, 01:19 PM   #12
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

I have a few pics of my 94, can't figure out how to post them. Sorry Warren, you don't have the lift glass, but you are set up for it. Meaning, your wiper get's off the glass in anticipation of it lifting, mine does not have that capability. I was originally looking for a 96 due to that reason, but got such a good deal on my 94, I had to jump on it.
Unread 10-10-2004, 01:35 PM   #13
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

I think these links might work. I have two pictures, hopefully you guys can see it. Also a small note is there anyone reading this that lives near Arizona? I have a few good wheelin' partners and we are always looking for more folks to go with us.
http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1LmPLmC9HXTYzsLCm9KXa0PPp9 nINNy4kzJ8!aEadd5Cp57W7e7AiiL6jE5RcnBTgg4cg5D29z*B A%24%24
http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1LmPLmC9HXTYzsLCm9KXa0PPp9 nINNy4kzJ8!aEadd5Cp57W7e7AiiL6jE5RcnBTgjkWR6de*yfy Q%24%24
Everyone have a good Sunday. I'm taking my rig out for the first time tomorrow!
Unread 10-10-2004, 03:05 PM   #14
Jayrod586

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
...When you see front wipers that chatter going across the glass, that is caused by bent wiper arms.

HTH
Hey, mine do that. I thought it was maybe cuz I'd Rain-Xed the windsheild. Think so? If not, what do you do about that?
Jayrod586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2004, 03:22 PM   #15
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod586
Hey, mine do that. I thought it was maybe cuz I'd Rain-Xed the windsheild. Think so? If not, what do you do about that?
Either replace your wiper arms, or buy the tensioner arms I make a link to. Here is is again. http://www.4wd.com/shop/productlist....egory=174&pg=3

Hope this helps. I've had lots of vehicle's that have done this and go figure that I found the tensioner arms long after I sold the last problematic one.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.