Rear wiper motor misaligned - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear wiper motor misaligned

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 12-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Rear wiper motor misaligned

PO did a good job at taking the rear wiper motor out to clean it before it sieed, I'll give him that. But he did put the white gear in the wrong way.
I myeslf, before trying to tear it apart & see what's wrong, have read a lot and have found out that it's a really important thing to pay attention EXACTLY where the white gear was, how much it was turned to one side or the other, and to put it all back in the same way. And so I did.

But when I turn it on, it goes like 1 or 2" up, then it stops, obviously waiting for the delay, and then it goes down, over the licence plate, and locks itself pointing towards the exhaust pipe. Obviously, the great white gear is turned the wrong way.

Question is, how do I correct that? I can't go opening the motor, displacing the gear by 1 tooth, close it all, mount, try, and then repeat the process untill it is right (which might easily be like 50 times, no exaggerating). Any other way?

Unread 12-08-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

are the wires crossed?
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

pull a motor from the junkyard. chances are it will work otherwise I can't think of another way.
My ZJ Injector Swap HowTo
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Bigbill, it's not the wires, it's the big gear that has brass on it for contact. If you take apart the motor and remove that gera but don't return it in the same way it was (regarding to the casing of the motor), it won't rotate "from point A to point B and back" as it should, but the "point A" and "point B" would be on different places from where they should be.

Zander: I wish I could. But back here there virtually ain't any Jeeps on JYs. Literally ANY, no model, no year, no condition - inexistant.
Unread 12-08-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Isn't the motor shaft splined where you can just pull the arm, rotate to the correct position, then reinstall it?
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

I've never taken one apart, but there must be some sort of contact that prevents the wiper from going down as far as it's going now, and stopping it at the "Park" position. If you can figure out how that system works you should have your bottom limit. I'd be tempted to remove the motor, and since you know that the gear IS the wrong way, rotate the gear the other way, and determine the new arc pattern resulting by moving the stud mount that goes to the wiper arm, either by hand, or jumpering the motor with a 12 volt source. If you put a tooth-pick or paper clip on the stud, it should help you visualize the new sweep arc. (90-120* ?, with 0*being the "park" position). I'd think you should be able to get close on the bench, saving removing and replacing the motor in the jeep a bunch of times, as you move the gear and check.
I'm just guessing here, but hopefully, this will work for you. Good luck
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #7
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
Isn't the motor shaft splined where you can just pull the arm, rotate to the correct position, then reinstall it?
You just might be right KoreaZJ,but if you reposition the arm,(from the bottom of the sweep arc), currently past where the wiper should be, to the correct
"Park" position, have you not lost that much of the arc? ie you would not have
full sweep of the wiper at the upper end?
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #8
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Sounds like the shaft has proper swing, but the arm is installed rotated to far CW.
Seems like you'd let the motor come to rest (off position), then install the arm where it belongs.
Unread 12-08-2011, 05:57 AM   #9
merlot2twisty
1997 ZJ 

Of course, you could always find the position of the gear by trial and error. Time consuming, but it'd work.
merlot2twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #10
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Splines

Unread 12-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #11
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

Take the wiper arm off of the motor. turn the motor on than off. that will put the motor in its bottom position. reinstall the wiper arm in the bottom(like when its off) position. should put the wiper back in time.
jnowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #12
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

OK, that's the motor with its casing. If you open the casing, on the other end of the shaft you'll find this (see attached picture). Now, it's necessary to take the big white (yellow) gear out (it takes the shaft with it) for the interior of the tunnel where the shaft goes to be cleaned. And when you return it, you can see there's a lot of possible ways to put it. What I'm saying that PO did not take care of which way was the big white gear in relation to the casing, and he didn't put it in the right way. So not only can a wiper arm go to sleep and stop points that are off, but it can also get stuck (when the brass plate rotates too much & fells out of the tiny contacts it touches when everything is back together). Or it can do less than necessary way in one direction, but too much in the other, and by doing so it keeps shifting it's "endpoints" every time it works.
7.jpg  
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #13
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
PO did a good job at taking the rear wiper motor out to clean it before it siezed,...
Apparently he didn't...
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Tru dat
However, the motor is still turning, so it survived somehow.
Looks like it'll be trial-and-error, a looooong testing until I fix it. Because ordering a used one from e-bay, with transport & customs, is waaaay too much :/
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #15
KJK
1998 ZJ 

I feel your pain. I've dealt with a few but have no easy hints. It's amazing how something so seemingly simple as a wiper motor can cause so many headaches when it goes wrong!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.