Rear Wheel Bearing replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear Wheel Bearing replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 06-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
scudman
2000 FSJ Cherokee 

Rear Wheel Bearing replacement

I have a grinding noise coming from the drivers side rear wheel. I am thinking wheel bearing gone bad. How hard is it to change out. I have basic tools. What would I need special and about how long should it take.

2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo

scudman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudman
I have a grinding noise coming from the drivers side rear wheel. I am thinking wheel bearing gone bad. How hard is it to change out. I have basic tools. What would I need special and about how long should it take.

2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo
It's possible that the parking brake shoe/hardware, located in the "tophat" style rear rotor could be causing the noise. They're known for rusting out .
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Does it do it pretty much when your driving slow turning corners or all the time?

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

SJZ has an excellent suggestion here.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
scudman
2000 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10achik
Does it do it pretty much when your driving slow turning corners or all the time?
It is a rotating grind. It is quite noticeable at all speeds and the noise rpm increases with speed. No difference going around corners. Interestingly the noise level is more pronounced when accellerating. When I coast it quiets a bit, but when I step on the accellerator the noise increases.
What else could it be besides a wheel bearing?
scudman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

It sounds like a wheel bearing to me, I was trying to elliminate other diff problems.

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
Cebby
2000 WJ 

http://www.jeepslimited.com/index.ph...d=22&Itemid=98

For axle seals, but same process for bearings (replaced mine while I was at it)
2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 Taupe Frost - Clayton LA Front/Rear | IRO 3" Springs + 3/4" KOR | Bilstein Shocks | JKS Discos/Trackbar/Draglink & Tierod | Dual KOR Stabs | Spidertrax Spacers | 265/70R17 Duratrac's on JK 17's | Black Magic Brakes w/Centric Rotors | Akebono Calipers | Griffin Rad | K&N Drop in | Magnaflow Cat & Muffler shorty setup | Diehard Platinum (Odyssey) | RB1-NAV-Sirius-Chg-iPod | OEM Tow Hooks F/R
Cebby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
jrjeff

I have a similiar problem

My rear drivers wheel is making a similiar grinding noise. Mine is not speed related. It makes a couple of crunching noises rolling to a stop the last two or three feet and makes a final crack just milli seconds after the vehicle comes to a stop. The garage I took it to says it sounds like the axle. I don't want to replace the axle and then find out that wasn't the problem. Now a piece of the parking brake assembly on the passenger side fell off at the garage parking lot the day I took it to get checked out, but again this is from the driver side. I didn't think about a brake issue until I read this thread. A wheel bearing would be cheaper than an axle. I just don't want to waste money to find we repaired the wrong thing. Please let me know, thanks. Oh it is not the brake pads, they are still thick and I can see them and nothing eating away at the discs or pads.
jrjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjeff View Post
My rear drivers wheel is making a similiar grinding noise. Mine is not speed related. It makes a couple of crunching noises rolling to a stop the last two or three feet and makes a final crack just milli seconds after the vehicle comes to a stop. The garage I took it to says it sounds like the axle. I don't want to replace the axle and then find out that wasn't the problem. Now a piece of the parking brake assembly on the passenger side fell off at the garage parking lot the day I took it to get checked out, but again this is from the driver side. I didn't think about a brake issue until I read this thread. A wheel bearing would be cheaper than an axle. I just don't want to waste money to find we repaired the wrong thing. Please let me know, thanks. Oh it is not the brake pads, they are still thick and I can see them and nothing eating away at the discs or pads.
Personally, I'd take it to another shop for a second opinion. The mechanics driving the jeep will have a lot easier time diagnosing your problem than we can over the internet. If the second shop says the same thing, you've got your answer.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
sandman
1993 ZJ 

scudman, theres no such thing as a 2000 FSJ.
Unread 11-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
scudman, theres no such thing as a 2000 FSJ.
He said thanks for the heads up... back in 2007!

Unread 11-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #12
sandman
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHC2000WJ View Post
He said thanks for the heads up... back in 2007!
LOl........... my bad
Unread 11-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #13
indept
2000 WJ 

To answer your question, and I think I'm the first to do so, the bearing is pressed onto the axle. You have to remove the wheel, caliper, caliper bracket, and rotor, then remove the 4 nuts holding the retaining plate. Then the axle pulls out. The bearing is pressed onto the axle. It's a beech to get off and you need a press to put it back on. You also need the press to get it off but you could cut it off with a grinder / cutting wheel. Just be careful not to mess up the axle. The seal is also there, it goes on BEFORE the bearing & lock ring are pressed on. You need a 20 ton press (recommended). Then bolt everything together. The whole thing minus the bearing removal & reinstall should take less than 2 hours. I did my right rear bearing. I have one of these:
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
The 12 ton version isn't big enough to fit the axle, at least not for removing the bearing.
Unread 11-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #14
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post
To answer your question, and I think I'm the first to do so, the bearing is pressed onto the axle. You have to remove the wheel, caliper, caliper bracket, and rotor, then remove the 4 nuts holding the retaining plate. Then the axle pulls out. The bearing is pressed onto the axle. It's a beech to get off and you need a press to put it back on. You also need the press to get it off but you could cut it off with a grinder / cutting wheel. Just be careful not to mess up the axle. The seal is also there, it goes on BEFORE the bearing & lock ring are pressed on. You need a 20 ton press (recommended). Then bolt everything together. The whole thing minus the bearing removal & reinstall should take less than 2 hours. I did my right rear bearing. I have one of these:
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
The 12 ton version isn't big enough to fit the axle, at least not for removing the bearing.

Umm dude, this thread is from 2000 freaking 7! I don't think he still needs the answer...

Unread 11-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjeff View Post
the e-brake shoes are under the rotor. inside the rear rotor is similar to a drum brake for the parking brake mechanics.
it could very well be the parking brake, sounds like what happened when mine 'sploded a while back.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.