Rear View Mirror Button? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear View Mirror Button?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 12-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
TewSmooth18
1997 ZJ 

Rear View Mirror Button?

I have a 97 Grand Cherokee Elrado TSI V8. On my rear view mirrow there is a little square push (on/off) button on bottom of it. It's almost like a clear button with some black trim stuff on it. This is the only button that is on the mirror

Can somebody tell me what the heck this button is for? I push it but it doesnt seem to do anything?

Here are some pictures of what I am talking about

TewSmooth18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

The button when pushed has this antireflective stuff in it. So when your driving at night people with bright lights that blind you will be turned into a greenish tint and even the brightest light wont blind you. This way you dont have too flip the mirror up and down when some Jerk has his brights on you and is tailgating you.

You wont notice it working during the day, but at night you should unless its broken. Turn it on give it a few minutes and drive around at night, when someone is behind you it should look as if the lights are greenish instead of white.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
kooch
1982 CJ7 

if you say that for that.....then whats the black dot on the mirror? looks kida like the camera on my iphone? i thought that was for the auto dim
kooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
Breathe
1996 ZJ 

if it doesn't do anything it's probably stuck in day-mode. Mine is stuck in night-mode but it don't really bother me much
Breathe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

^^the "dot" is where the mirror detects the light for the auto-dimming

OP , does the button illuminate when pressed on ? It's suppose to
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
TewSmooth18
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for the fast reply..I will leave this button pushed in then and see if it works or not
TewSmooth18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TewSmooth18 View Post
Thanks for the fast reply..I will leave this button pushed in then and see if it works or not
You can check it by shining a flashlight into the small "dot"(photocell) , the light gradually dims the mirror . Don't expect instant results , maybe 20ish secs should do it
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

If you have a auto dim outside rear view it also will control the dim feature on that.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.