Rear Tow Hook Question; 99 WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear Tow Hook Question; 99 WJ

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
Okiejeep07
1999 WJ 

Rear Tow Hook Question; 99 WJ

I recently bought a rear "MOPAR" tow hook unit from a stealership and when I spoke to the parts person they told me the tow hook would not come complete; missing only the support brace that mounts from the hook bracket to the body of the Jeep. I asked why and she told me that Jeep discontinued making that specific rear tow hook unit because of a design flaw?? Does anyone know if this is a fact? Or did I become another victim of the stealerships? Turns out I went ahead and purchased the rear hook and had a friend machine the missing support brace and mounted per design.
Apprecitate any comments.

Okiejeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

Do you have a hitch? If not return that and purchast a hitch, they make shackels that will connect into your hitch for pulling stuff or being pulled.

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
JBN311
2004 WJ 

Yeah, I was in the same boat but was convinced by other jeepers that the hitch was more useful.

2004 WJ Laredo V8, NP242 swapped in, front Dana 30 w/ Vari-Lok, Aussie Locked 44a, BB, 30" BFG A/T's, Tow hooks, Rear Hitch, CB, Better than stock radio/MP3 player.
JBN311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Okiejeep07
1999 WJ 

No hitch. I don't plan to get one at this point, but I just wondered if it was true about Jeep and discontinuing that rear tow hook? Also I remember that the stealership's spokeswoman said that it was discontinued because of a saftey issue; then why did they sell it to me? Oh well, life goes on. Thanks for your comments!
Unread 11-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

Never knew that the WJ had a rear hook. But, did you just buy a hook, or did you buy brackets and everything?

But I would suggest a hitch. You can get a good hitch for not too much. You never know when you might need to tow something and it provides a much better recovery point from then a hook.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
table
2000 WJ 

The tow hook kit I purchased came with all necessary bolts and brackets. P/N: 82204487.
Unread 11-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
Eshindi
1999 WJ 

to be honest when i looked at the bracket that lowers the hook from the frame to below the bumper level looks just too long and just didnt look like it had a whole lot of structural integrity.

My Build Log
Eshindi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
Okiejeep07
1999 WJ 

It came with the hook, the triangular frame that the hook sits on and the bolts for mounting. Here is a picture of what it came with, minus the support bar on the far right. http://www.wjjeeps.com/thooks_rear_mopar.jpg
Do any of you guys have this particular rear tow hook?

Your absolutely right Sporer65, a tow hitch would be the way to go without a doubt, I might consider it some day.

Lucky you Marsip! That is what I wanted, but it was too much hassle to return since I bought over the internet. Have you had to use yours yet?

Eshindi,
That is kinda what I thought when I mounted the hook on the back, there was not a whole lot of side support. I think that is why they discontinued making it.

Thanks guys!!
Unread 11-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #9
Okiejeep07
1999 WJ 

Sorry Marsip, I asked the question if anyone has one and I forgot that you already mentioned you did. Its been a long day.
Unread 11-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
Redbob
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiejeep07

Your absolutely right Sporer65, a tow hitch would be the way to go without a doubt, I might consider it some day.
If you're looking for one, I've got one I got from U-Haul, 2" receiver type, tubular, bought one year ago; I took it off last weekend to put on the fuel tank skid plate, and didn't put it back on.
I'm looking to broom it; what part of Ok are you in?
I'm in N Texas just east of I-35.
If you're interested, PM me.
Redbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #11
Okiejeep07
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbob
If you're looking for one, I've got one I got from U-Haul, 2" receiver type, tubular, bought one year ago; I took it off last weekend to put on the fuel tank skid plate, and didn't put it back on.
I'm looking to broom it; what part of Ok are you in?
I'm in N Texas just east of I-35.
If you're interested, PM me.
Thanks for the offer Redbob! I'll have to pass because I really can't justify having one as of now. Most importantly I don't have anything to tow. But again thanks for the offer. What kind of skid plate are putting on?
Unread 11-09-2007, 07:14 AM   #12
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Towing and using the hitch for recovery are two different things.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #13
ZJMAN
1998 ZJ 

Yup, they are two different things, but the in the case of XJs, ZJs and WJs with a trailer tow package, the rear tow hook is eliminated and the hitch is used for both. I like to put the tow strap loop into the receiver hitch with the pin through it or use an insert in the hitch with a clevis. All my XJs and my ZJ have had factory hitches.
ZJMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

ZJman,

well put.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2007, 12:15 PM   #15
Shaguardriver
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hitch

I use the hitch also, it attaches to more of the Jeep than the tow hook. I run an empty receiver upside down then drop a clevis pin in as needed.
Shaguardriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.