rear sway bar question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > rear sway bar question

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
Moparich
1996 ZJ 

rear sway bar question

i will be ordering a front sway bar quick disconnect. my question is can i just remove the rear sway bar?
i currently have a 3" lift and 31" tires. drives fine and i dont want to create problems. its my wifes dd during the week about 5miles round trip and the weekend trail truck.

Moparich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Do you have a spacer lift? If so did you extend the retaining post in the rear? If not, then you may need to go do that.

I ditched my rear sway bar, im on a 2 inch bb w/ extended retaining posts in the rear.

I know Texaszj and I think Rat say not to take it off, as it doesn't limit flex very much. with it off ive heard you put more stress on the rear track bar

I'd not worry about it if I were you. You should be fine (i think).

Edit: dont worry about it as in leave it on.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Why would you remove a sway bar on the vehicle your wife drives? Just leave it on.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparich View Post
i will be ordering a front sway bar quick disconnect. my question is can i just remove the rear sway bar?
i currently have a 3" lift and 31" tires. drives fine and i dont want to create problems. its my wifes dd during the week about 5miles round trip and the weekend trail truck.
Definitely don't remove the rear sway bar. Get the front sway bar disconnects - and take it out like that first. I think you'll be pleased with the flex that alone provides. For a DD, I wouldn't remove the rear sway bar.
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
ajmorell

Leave it in.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Moparich
1996 ZJ 

thanks yall.

"Do you have a spacer lift? If so did you extend the retaining post in the rear? If not, then you may need to go do that.

I ditched my rear sway bar, im on a 2 inch bb w/ extended retaining posts in the rear."

i have a spring lift
Moparich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Grand98
1998 ZJ 

Am I understanding yall correctly? You can use front swaybar disconnects on the rear? I'm totally new to all this and trying to get some tips.
Grand98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm debating ditching my rear sway. It's up to the person, know several people around here to don't have one on theirs and some due. If you're wondering, take it out and do a test drive. You'll feel a slight difference but it will handle most differently in emergency situations. So don't forget to account for that.
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

You can't use front disconnects on the rear. You don't need to disconnect or remove it and ultimately having the rear is a net benefit.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.