Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rear Squeek

1K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Uniblurb 
#1 ·
I've been having a really annoying incessant squeak from what sounds like the rear passenger side. I had some squeaking before I installed my lift, but if has gotten worse and is almost constant with every crack in the road, pot hole, speed bump, or when I accelerate quickly I get a series of squeaks like 4 or 6 in a row. I have been unable to recreate it until this weekend. I've tried bouncing the whole rear end up and down by jumping on the hitch, and shaking the whole Jeep from side to side, and I hear absolutely nothing which I thought was crazy because the smallest crack in the road will set it off. It's worse in warmer weather and when the Jeep has warmed up. I have re-torqued all the rear suspension components I installed a couple times now, they they all seem solid.

Finally this weekend I was installing my wheel adapters and I noticed that the foam piece on the parking brake cable at the sway bar had slid over and the parking brake cable was making contact with the sway bar. I moved the cable up and down and I heard the squeak! I thought forsure I just had to center the foam and that would be it. I did that to both sides, and used some white lithium grease anywhere the parking brake cable was even close to contacting. It did nothing. The squeak is still there. I went back under the jeep and jiggled the cable again and I could hear it really well. It seems to be coming from the parking brake cable spring on the back side of the dust shield. I carefully put some white lithium grease on those, and it still does it!

It almost seems like it is reverberating/resonating through the spring. has anyone dealt with this? I rebuilt the parking brakes the summer before last, so almost two years ago. Is is possible that some internal parking brake part is squeaking and its just reverberating through the spring? I guess I will have to open it up, I am hesitant because I just put the spacers on with the red locktite. I guess I'll be busting out the torch, unless you guys have any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I attached a picture from the adapter install where you can see the parking brake cable and foam piece.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Try greasing the driveshaft slipjoint. With the lift the distance from the pinion to the transfer case probably changed a bit. In any case it sounds to me like it is related to the Jeep being in motion. U-joints may be suspect too with the different angle of the lift.

GW

#3 ·
GOLDWING said:
Try greasing the driveshaft slipjoint. With the lift the distance from the pinion to the transfer case probably changed a bit. In any case it sounds to me like it is related to the Jeep being in motion. U-joints may be suspect too with the different angle of the lift. GW
Thanks the reply GW!
I will take a look at the driveshaft slip joint now. I'm just convinced it's coming from the parking brake cable, just not sure if it's coming from inside the hat of the rotor, or that spring itself. It's an identical squeaking/creaking noise when I jiggle it. It almost sounds like an old mattress.

#4 ·
It almost sounds like an old mattress.
When did you last replace your control arm bushings? My Jeep makes a sound very similiar in situations, and I'm convinced it's my control arm bushings being bad and squeaky. Like you, doesn't make a single noise when bounding it myself, but over bumps? Mattress.

#6 ·
Since you're convinced Tim it's coming from the parking brake spring area you may want to double check the tabs are bent out on the spring receptacle where it fits in the slot like in the below photo.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/ebrake-cam-lever-replacement-write-up-1605033/#post16165217

You would think in spraying it down with white grease it would quiet it down though.

I would assume when you rebuilt your parking brake you lubed the cam/lever good along with where the metal part of the shoes ride on the raised dust metal pads.

#9 ·
Thanks Uni!

Yes I actually used your write up when I did it, and I remember slathering wheel bearing grease on the cam/lever, but I am going to disassemble everything this weekend and re-lube/adjust the parking brake.

#7 ·
the way that you described the noise and when it does and doesn't happen makes me believe that it only happens when the Jeep is moving. The driveshaft components and brakes take the most wear and tear and are subject to making noise when moving.

GW

#10 ·
I am going to do a thorough inspection this weekend, and I already have 2 moog rear upper control arms in my amazon cart, just wanting to be sure they are shot before I pull the trigger.

I can recreate the sound while stationary by jiggling the parking break cable.

#8 ·
Mine squeaks a bit when I go over bumps. When I replaced my stock springs with UpCountry springs, I did not have time to deal with new spring isolators. Now I have a suspicion that my squeaks are from the old ones that are now receiving more stress from the heavier springs. When I replaced the springs the isolators looked fine, but now they show stress cracking. So if you didn't change your isolators when you put on your OMEs, it might be worth a look. Good luck.

#11 ·
New Mopar isolator in all four corners!

One of the existing rear isolators was split open on the side and the metal disk on the inside was rusting and was covered in scale and was crumbling out the side. I had no way of seeing this since the pinch weld seam in the wheel well covers the side of the isolator. Its probably a good idea to change yours even if they look ok from below.

#13 ·
Well I believe I have found the source of the squeak! A thread popped up yesterday about the hanger on a walker tailpipe, the same one I had installed last fall. After looking up pictures of the two different styles of ZJ hangers, I went and took a look at mine, and sure enough the hanger on the tailpipe was making contact were the red X is on the picture. That is just a stock picture I found in a google search, and the hanger from my tailpipe looks like an inverted J and is almost completely vertical and parallel to the gas tank heat shield. A few good wacks with a hammer and now there is about a 1/2" between the upside down J hanger and the metal frame around the rubber isolator the J hooks into.

In the quest to curb this squeak, I have replaced the rubber exhaust hanger isolator, both rear upper control arms, the rear brake pads, rotors, and parking brake shoes, and hardware, and yesterday I attempted to change the OE track bar, but ended up just snapping a harbor freight Pittsburgh T-55 torx bit. I still plan on replacing the track bar for good measure, I just need to pick up a quality torx bit.

Edit: I am also considering installing another hanger in the middle and connecting it to one of the rear seat bolts that comes through the floor. I'm looking for a generic rubber isolator I could make work, and use plumbers tape around the tailpipe. I want to raise the tailpipe so it doesn't make contact with the track bar when the suspension compresses, I am just worried it will start making contact with the sway bar as it is really close now, around 1" away.

any suggestions on clearance??

Attachments

#14 ·
Glad you found your squeak Tim and fixed it! :thumbsup:

Believe my OE hanger rusted away years ago where I just have the rubber isolator which doesn't have a metal shroud on it anymore.

I don't have a lift so not sure if your rear sway bar is closer to the tailpipe or not? Believe the way the tailpipe is twisted in the back of the muffler may have something to do with the distance or clearance. But also know you have to line the rear hanger up while keeping it away from the fuel tank heat shield or it will rattle like crazy.

Not the best solution but years ago when I had sway bar clunk on the tailpipe once in a while I split a piece of heater hose and used hose clamps to attach it to the sway bar where it hit. Then covered it with that sticky silver/shiny duct tape. Was kind of surprised even when the tape wore/burnt off the heater hose never burnt or melted that close to the exhaust.

I know this isn't a proper fix and guess you have to see if you can install a middle hanger. With that OE tailpipe hanger and front pipe being pretty stable not sure if you'll be able to pull it up much or support it. Good luck!

#17 ·
Glad you found your squeak Tim and fixed it! :thumbsup:

Believe my OE hanger rusted away years ago where I just have the rubber isolator which doesn't have a metal shroud on it anymore.

I don't have a lift so not sure if your rear sway bar is closer to the tailpipe or not? Believe the way the tailpipe is twisted in the back of the muffler may have something to do with the distance or clearance. But also know you have to line the rear hanger up while keeping it away from the fuel tank heat shield or it will rattle like crazy.

Not the best solution but years ago when I had sway bar clunk on the tailpipe once in a while I split a piece of heater hose and used hose clamps to attach it to the sway bar where it hit. Then covered it with that sticky silver/shiny duct tape. Was kind of surprised even when the tape wore/burnt off the heater hose never burnt or melted that close to the exhaust.

I know this isn't a proper fix and guess you have to see if you can install a middle hanger. With that OE tailpipe hanger and front pipe being pretty stable not sure if you'll be able to pull it up much or support it. Good luck!
Thanks Uni for your input on this thread, and on the site in general. You are a great resource to have around!

Well what a relief to not have that high pitch squeak ringing in my ears every time I drove the Jeep! After replacing 95% of the suspension and still having it squeak like that was very discouraging, and made it sound like the suspension was shot/rickety. The frequency really echoed and it just took away from all the hard work I've put into the ZJ.

Now I find myself focusing on the thud that I get from the tailpipe hitting the track bar after going over a large bump. I plan on using your rubber hose trick temporarily on both the sway bar and track bar, before I get around the adding another hanger right after the muffler.

#16 ·
The fact your squeak source came from your tailpipe makes me wonder about my own squeak source...

I may need to replace my entire hanger and hardware, as I have the same style hanger on mine [Slightly broken and bent thanks for a friend when we had to get my muffler to not hit the driveshaft]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.