Rear Springs/ Front BB vs BB w/ rear air bags - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear Springs/ Front BB vs BB w/ rear air bags

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
unabashedpraise
1998 ZJ 

Rear Springs/ Front BB vs BB w/ rear air bags

Did some searching and didn't feel satisfied with the results.

I'm lifting the Zj soon, ~1.5 -2", new shocks, possibly some new bushings and/or ca's (as needed). Will be towing a mix of: a small expedition trailer on vacations, loaded hitch cargo hauler, and maybe hauling some reasonable trailer fulls to the dump, say, 4-5 times a year tops. Will be adding a frame mounted tire carrier w/out new bumper.

As it sits the rear sags a bit more than I prefer when loaded with 2 adults and 2 kids heading to grandma's house for the weekend (no kitchen sink). With a smaller trailer loaded it sags a bit too (brush and wood not metal or rock). For giggles let's make the assumption that I am smart to know that it has nothing to do with excessive tongue weight or maxing the gross vehicle weight.

Unfortunately, I don't think a normal BB will do anything for the sag while under load. Do you suggest stiffer rear springs with front spacers? 1.5" up front, 2.25" pucks in the back? Or air bags with normal BB? (no oba, just a small 12v compressor) Maybe I'm missing something else? Some up country's all around with extra pucks in the back?

BTW, I'm not spending OME money. No way. My wife would...not be happy?

Thanks for the advice.

Help: Rear left lock doesn't lock using power locks, but will unlock. Any ideas?

-Born once, die twice. Born twice, die once.
unabashedpraise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
unabashedpraise
1998 ZJ 

I don't want anything that needs new steering components. I will save that if I want a larger lift later on down the road.

Also, I don't mind a raked stance, so long as it isn't substantial.

Help: Rear left lock doesn't lock using power locks, but will unlock. Any ideas?

Unread 01-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

front to rear swap. it will be just a tad taller then the pucks you want. if you think about it, it will cost you roughly the same. all the pucks = the cost of the new front springs, your buying shocks anyway, the only thing you might have to buy if you don't feel like straightening your rear track bar, is a front and rear track bar. which depending on the mileage of your ZJ, the bushings might be shot at this point it wouldn't hurt to have an aftermarket one.

you can get away with stock CAs and eventually replace them and get longer brake lines. just read through the write up, and post if you have any questions on it.

heres a good write up on it. theres no install guide or pictures in it.
http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...article-F-gt-R
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
nicklopic
1998 ZJ 

To fix that sagging you'd need rear springs, the Bb just raises the truck up but the actual spring rate of the springs remains unchanged. So you'll still sag even with the pucks.

Now if you want larger that 2 inches in the rear, you would have a rake normally and it should balance out when its all loaded up

Idk much about nor have experience with bags so I won't touch on that

You could replace the rear springs with something stiffer. I know you said no OME, but going with heavy duty rear springs and 2" pucks in the front would probably work well.

As for a cheaper option, you could replace the rear springs with upcountry coils. These were stiffer from the factory and netted 1" over normal ride height. (You should expect some sag though) Then use the 2" pucks.

That would probably leave you with a bit of a rake, nothing major, and when loaded up it would sag so much
Unread 01-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
redbeard144
1994 ZJ 

jeep

why cant you use the old style air shocks,there cheap easy to install just put more air to lift the rear when you need to.they worked great back in the day to jack up the old hot rod.there about 70 buck a pair on ebay.
redbeard144 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
unabashedpraise
1998 ZJ 

I am against the f<r swap, mainly due to the extra suspension issues involved and the higher lift. I want to keep the Jeep on a height that my kids and wife can get into without a step ladder. Once they are a few years older a higher lift may be in order.

Has anyone run any of these options on their own rigs?

Unread 01-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
nicklopic
1998 ZJ 

I have the upcountry coils all around and Bb pucks. I do not tow though, I never see any sagging when I'm out driving with a full car, some tools, spare, my old wheels and assorted junk in the back. But I assume going would be a different story
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Buy my Rancho 3" rear coils. They're stiffer than stock, and give about 2.5" of lift. They never rode better than when I was towing a small sized UHaul trailer or had a heavy as ***** old school air conditioner in the cargo area.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
unabashedpraise
1998 ZJ 

Anybody know if these 3" rear coils will require me to have a new rear trackbar? Would a relocation bracket work and be trustworthy?

Unread 01-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
nicklopic
1998 ZJ 

I'm at about 3-3.5" in the rear

You need rear sway bar links, shocks, you really should get a track bar other wise the rear end will be kicked out to one side. If you get a bracket, you need to weld it in or it will break and that's not good
Unread 01-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #11
unabashedpraise
1998 ZJ 

Track bar and a bracket? Adjustable track bar only? Adj with bracket?

Unread 01-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
nicklopic
1998 ZJ 

Just an adjustable track bar.
(IRO sells a fixed track bar for a 3.5" lift)
Unread 01-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #13
unabashedpraise
1998 ZJ 

OK. Suppose I purchase Mike's 1.75 front isolators and 3" rear spring coils. The rear coils supposedly would give me 2.5" of lift to rear, a solid 1.75" in the front. I would then need new rear links but not the front? IRO states that their links work for 3-7" of lift. Are there other links that would fit better? Is the net 2.5" considered a 3" lift?

Should I be able to leave the front alone after the isolators are installed?

In purchasing shocks, do I go for a 2" lift shock for the front and 3" lift for the rear?

This is why I really didn't want to do a bigger lift! Too many questions, and the money is adding up. I just want a small lift and for my rear coils to not droop!

Unread 01-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

JKS sells front links from 0-3" of lift. I went with those.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #15
unabashedpraise
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
JKS sells front links from 0-3" of lift. I went with those.
You used JKS front links as rear links?

Tags
air bags , bb , sagging , springs , towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.