Rear speakers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear speakers

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 08-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
cherokeen
2001 WJ 

Rear speakers

Anyone know how to install 6x9's into the rear?
I think i gotta take the door panels off in order to do so..

cherokeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

Yes, you'll have to take your door panels off. But I don't know if you'll be able to fit 6X9s, and if you could it might be a pain. I suggest getting a good pair of 6-1/2" or 6-3/4".

The Haynes Manual has instructions on removing the door panel. You'll probably need to replace some the plastic "Christmas tree" retainers. Do not buy them from the dealer. WAY too expensive. I'll try to look up the site and get you that info.

Jay
'96 ZJ, 4.0L, 42RE, NP242, stock D30 and D35-LS w/ 3.73, 4-1/2" lift, 32" BFG ATs, Magnaflow, JKS track bars and disconnects, spare tire carrier, Optima red top, ROLA roof rack, KC SlimLite driving lights, CB and Yaesu ham radios, GPS

Last edited by ZJJay; 08-14-2011 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: typo
ZJJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

Here's the site for any fasteners you might need: http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Chr...iners_s/66.htm

Good luck.
'96 ZJ, 4.0L, 42RE, NP242, stock D30 and D35-LS w/ 3.73, 4-1/2" lift, 32" BFG ATs, Magnaflow, JKS track bars and disconnects, spare tire carrier, Optima red top, ROLA roof rack, KC SlimLite driving lights, CB and Yaesu ham radios, GPS
ZJJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
cherokeen
2001 WJ 

thanks a heap, real helpful i might just replace the infinity golds in the front with these 6x9s then, cheers again
cherokeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

You will need to get speakers that are not too deep so as to not hit the window. Remove door panel. Use a door panel fastener remover and you won't break too many of the fasteners. There are screws to remove too. Get the old speaker out and then oval out the original speaker hole so the 6x9 will fit. Jigsaw with metal blade will handle that. Drill new mounting holes. Put a nice bead of silicon rubber on the door where the speaker meets it. Let it set up for a little while before mounting the speaker. Trim the plastic inside of the door panel where it sits against the speaker.

Or build a bezel and mount it to the outside of the door panel. Then you can mount any size speaker you want with any depth. Plus it will sound better mounted on a piece of wood. Like this, the bolts look ugly but you could purdy it up with different hardware
speaker.jpg  
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door panel removal , speaker replacements

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.