Rear seat won't fold down - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear seat won't fold down

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
RochesterSS

Rear seat won't fold down

I've got a '96 Grand Cherokee and I've gotta fill the back up with wood so I want to fold the back seats down so the whole trunk and back seat area is one flat space. I can't find any release mechanism to get the back seats to fold down though. Help would greatly be appreciated, thanks.

RochesterSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
tommylee84
1994 ZJ 

On the passenger and dirver side if you life the seat up on the outer corners there should be a little black tab in the vertical position. Push back on it while rocking the seat alittle and it should unlock and fold forward.

1994 ZJ 5.2,46RH,242
tommylee84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

You also have to lift the seat bottoms forward first.

IIRC on a ZJ you also have to remove the headrests.
Unread 04-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Tiggerrrrr
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylee84 View Post
On the passenger and dirver side if you life the seat up on the outer corners there should be a little black tab in the vertical position. Push back on it while rocking the seat alittle and it should unlock and fold forward.
weird.. my 95 has a lever on the door side of the seat backs at the bottom of the seat.

Looking for a REAR tow hook and bracket!
Tiggerrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2009, 01:31 AM   #5
sandman
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerrrrr View Post
weird.. my 95 has a lever on the door side of the seat backs at the bottom of the seat.
mine too, must be a 96-98 thing.
Unread 04-25-2009, 03:01 AM   #6
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Yup, my 95 has the removable headrests (that go into the seat bottoms at the back once they're folded up) and on the door side at the hinge there's a black curved handle that looks like a piece of trim for the hinge itself. Pull that forward and up and then grab the top of the seat back and pull it forward and down.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #7
rarmstrong0125
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I know this is an old post but I have a 'new' problem. I have ZJ 95 style rear seat in my XJ. The passenger side backrest will not go down. it seems that the black plastic pull handle is stripped or broken. It's sad and funny but I just installed these in my XJ so they are from a JY but in good shape. The worked the entire time until I was done with my 2-day project to fit these seats and now it won't go down. Ironic because that is why I put the split seats in the first place.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.