Rear Rotor Removal / Emergency Brake problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear Rotor Removal / Emergency Brake problems

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 09-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #1
wvresq

Rear Rotor Removal / Emergency Brake problems

One of the guys I work with just bought a 98 Laredo yesterday. Pretty good deal, nice ride, just a couple little things to adjust/fix.

Bear with me, the Jeep isnt at my house, I'm posting this for him as he is under the Jeep as I type.

He says the Emergency/Parking brake isnt working. He has traced the cable down to the rear rotor ( right I think ) but he says he cant get that rotor off. He has a Haynes manuel ( yeah, I know ... forgive him ) but it is of little help ( go figure ).

Any ideas on what the problem could be with that rotor ?, or have any of you guys had any problems with the brake on the ZJ's ?

Thanks, and I'll post back if I find out any more info.

BDS 2" Suspension Lift (BDS 5500 shocks/coils)-01 Limited Silverblade 3's with 235/75/17 Hankook Dynapro AT's (freebies)
Other upgrades: 04 Electroluminescent gauges, Airbag cover, Brushed aluminum trim, RB1/changer, Steering Wheel Radio controls, RF Punch 40, & RF Punch 15 sub, Audiovox remote start, 04 Laredo SE Power Seats, Power/Heated side mirrors, Auto-Dim rear view mirror, EVIC with HomeLink w/backlighting, Jeep Brand cargo liner, 04 lower center bezel, Interior LED upgrade, Bluetooth HF850 Handsfree Kit, Tinted front side windows, Lighted Visors[/SIZE]
wvresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

First, check to make sure there aren't any clips on the wheel studs holding the rotor on. Unlikely but check that first.
The most likely problem after he's removed the caliper is that the rotor is rusted or just dirt jammed on. What I did recently wsas shoot WD40 on all the studs and around the axle hub and let it sit. Then I took a hammer and banged away on the back of the rotor until it loosened. I had to do this with 3 of the rotors.
Good Luck!
Phil
TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
Phil Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #3
josephmartins
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Has he tried loosening the e-brake? I know this might seem obvious but it happens. If the e-brake pads are dragging on the inner drum the rotor will be next to impossible to remove.
If he's uncertain how to do it, here's what he'll need to do:
  1. Remove plug from each lower access hole in the brake support plates.
  2. Loosen parking brake cable adjustment nut until there is slack in front cable.
  3. Insert adjusting tool (or a large flathead screwdriver) through support plate access hole and engage in teeth of adjusting screw star wheel.
  4. Rotate adjuster screw star wheel (move tool handle downward) until rotor isn't dragging. You may need to hold the adjuster lever away from star wheel with thin screwdriver, and back off adjuster screw star wheel with the other screwdriver...I forget.
Phil covered the rest in the post above.

Joe Martins
Milford, NH

12 Wrangler Sahara JK8 conversion, <10 miles (FOR SALE, $56,700)
01 WJ Limited, 4.7, 247, black on black, 157k miles (sold)
96 XJ Classic, 4.0, 242, black on grey, 267k miles (sold)
00 XJ Sport, 4.0, 242, fern green on grey, 76k miles (sold)
90 XJ Wagoneer, 4.0, 242, burgundy on tan, unknown mileage (sold)
97 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, black on black, 138k miles (wrecked 12/15/05)
98 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, burgundy on black, 197k miles (sold)
josephmartins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2005, 10:03 PM   #4
mr_user

Whenever I come across a stubborn rotor I've found that, like Phil said, spraying WD-40 and letting it sit helps. After a few minutes stick a long flathead into the backside of the rotor (between the mud guard and the rotor) and give it some good whacks. If you position the screwdriver right it should knock the rotor right out.

Matt

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
medic

Thanks guys. I am the one in question here. (actually the Jeep is my nephews) We never did get that rotor off, but with some tips from somewhere else on here, I was able to get the e-brake adjusted. Works well and thanks a million.

As for that Haynes manual. That is why we made a posting here...

wvmedic
medic is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.