Rear rotor removal on a 99 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear rotor removal on a 99 Grand Cherokee

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
dirtyjeepdc
1999 WJ 

Rear rotor removal on a 99 Grand Cherokee

Hello,
I have yet another stupid question. I am trying to remove one of the rear rotors to repair the parking brake and I have gotten the rotor loose. It is not coming off, do I need to compress the parking brake pads somehow or is it supposed to simply slide off? Thank you in advance for any insight.

dirtyjeepdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
dirtyjeepdc
1999 WJ 

Also, the parking brake cable has snapped and the rotor spins freely, so that should not be an issue.
Unread 05-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

it might just be hung up on the studs. try tapping the hub part some with a rubber or brass hammer..

also, not trying to call anyone stupid, but you did take off the caliper already, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
dirtyjeepdc
1999 WJ 

Yep, the caliper is off. It looks like the parking brake shoes are getting stuck inside the rotor. The position that is opposite of the place where the parking brake cable enters.
Unread 05-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
dirtyjeepdc
1999 WJ 

After much toil and cursing, I cut off the last 3" of a medium sized flat head screw driver and made my own parking brake retraction tool. The rotor came off!
Unread 05-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Was there a lip on the inside of the drum? That's what normally happens. The shoes wear the drum where they contact, leaving a ridge on the inner side that the shoes hang up on.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.