Rear rotor removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear rotor removal

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-13-2006, 01:11 PM   #1
mmgrand

Rear rotor removal

Well I decided to replace the leaking rear axel seal and possibly the bearing if needed. But I can't get the rear rotor to budge. I've tried beating, prying, soaking with penetrating oil and also tried using a 1/4 bolt and nut thru the caliper hole to break it free.. I've loosened the E brake using the star wheel. Anyone ever have this problem? It's a 1999 Grand Cherokee. Any suggestions other than rolling it off a cliff? Thanks for looking.

mmgrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

A bigger hammer...
Unread 10-13-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
nierace
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
A bigger hammer...

I usually use a mallet even though you aren't going to reuse the rotor, otherwise wear a good pair of goggles.

Rotate it around and keep whacking it as you rotate, then try tugging at it straight on after a few rotations...
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
///BHRpowered

get a rubber mallet, relieve some stress. You probably have more then the rotor, hence the rotor will submit to your commands.

[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2370949]2000 Millenia S...Five figure spending account[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2384051]1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee...Gone but never forgotton[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2383985]2003 BMW M3 SMG...For Sale, PM if interested[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2484240]2000 "Jeep Grand Cherokee...4.7, Quadra-Drive, Loaded.[/url]
"A dark and bitter chill fills the air. once thriving life wallows away into ash as he slithers past, the very stars themselfs part to make way for his haunting, yet oddly claim arrival. Bhr approaches." - Hatter

"But i have to say, BHR's rants go hand in hand with moring coffee to get my day started - RXL"

Admin - [url]http://www.mazdaworld.net[/url]
///BHRpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2006, 12:05 PM   #5
jmaley

Stuck Rotor

I had the same problem, I used two prybars carfully wedged behind the rotor and kept rotating and carfully beating on the rotor hat until it broke loose. It looked like the center hole for the axle flange had rusted to the rotor hat. I took a Dremil tool and snading drum to the inside radius and cleaned up the edge, since then no problem getting the rotor off.

Hope this helps
jmaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2006, 11:36 PM   #6
StealthPossum

Not sure about the 1999, but my 2002 was a PITA to get off until I completely released the pressure on the parking brake pads inside the rotor. Involved taking out the center console and part of the carpet in the back to release the cable at the parking brake lever and Y junction behind it....ridiculous I know. However, they both just slide right off after that. I also tried the hammer, prybar, harsh language, star adjuster before doing this (and I wasn't going to replace the rotor anyway; so I wasn't nice...still didn't work until Idid the above procedure.) FWIW, good luck.
StealthPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2006, 07:43 PM   #7
mmgrand

Sorry for not responding sooner, it's been a hecktic week. Thanks for all the ideas. If the weather stays decent I'll give it another go this weekend and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.
mmgrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2006, 06:36 AM   #8
sharky777

Or you can just heat up the rotor bewtwen the lugs with a blow torch and occsionally hit with a no so big hammer and they will come right off. Remember you don't want to melt anything just heat it up to loosen it.
sharky777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
KrazysJeep

I had the same problem with my '01 when replacing the bad seal- heated it, used WD-40, big hammer. Eventually a gear puller did the trick and the rear rotor is now slightly warped (can barely tell when stopping from high speeds of 60mph+).

BTW, I had to replace the bearing. If the 99 is the same as an 01, there is a press-on ring that needs to get cut off to get to the seal and bearing. I took it to a machine shop and they had to cut the bearing due to it being so close to the ring.
KrazysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.