Rear pinion seal 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear pinion seal 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 09-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #1
discgolfus

Rear pinion seal 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Ok guys looking for a little input/ advice. Had some work done 4 months ago at a shop. Work that I could not do myself, seeing it was there even though I could do this one I had them do the rear pinion seal because it was leaking. 4 months later it is leaking again. I bought a new seal yesterday and put it in. Took it for a test spin and the new seal leaks worse then the one I replaced. I made sure it was put in square and everything else. Any thoughts would be great.

discgolfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
zjseeker
1998 ZJ 

I bought National brand seals for mine, haven't made the repair yet. There are some good guys here I'm sure can help. I'm interested myself on input. Good luck.
zjseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

I've seen the pinion yoke develop a groove right where the seal rides, so even a new seal leaks. I don't know if anyone makes a sleeve for the pinion like they do for a crankshaft, also, coat the seal lip in synthetic grease before you install the seal, that way the seal does not have to ride on a dry piece of steel, and allows the yoke to slide cleanly through it when you re-install it.
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
discgolfus

Thanks for the input I believe that may be my problem as you can see from the picture I uploaded you can see the grooves. looks like a 46 dollar part for a new yoke which I guess isn't bad at all. any other theories from anybody just in case would be great
dscf0502.jpg

discgolfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

it looks like pitting on the sealing surface. Use some 600 grit emery cloth to clean it up and re-evaluate.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.