Rear pinion seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear pinion seal

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 09-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
discgolfus

Rear pinion seal

Ok guys looking for a little input/ advice. Had some work done 4 months ago at a shop. Work that I could not do myself, seeing it was there even though I could do this one I had them do the rear pinion seal because it was leaking. 4 months later it is leaking again. I bought a new seal yesterday and put it in. Took it for a test spin and the new seal leaks worse then the one I replaced. I made sure it was put in square and everything else. Any thoughts would be great.

discgolfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

You need to measure the torque required to rotate the pinion with nothing else in the axle. Measure the torque required to remove the pinion nut. Replace seal. Torque to 5ftlbs more than removal torque, not to exceed 275ftlbs. Measure rotating torque again, increase in 5ftlb increments until rotating torque is back in spec for used bearings. Again not exceeding 275ftlbs. If you do you need to install a new crush sleeve.

Replace the pinion nut also.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.